RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
I'm just gonna sit by and watch this thread develop.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
It's a waste of time and effort to convert an elephant to a cheetah...

It's like wearing track shoes to dance Tango...doesn't make sense.

You'll gain 1-2 mpg...not that meaningful...but mods are still fun nonetheless...just be realistic on the expected outcome!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
cheetaphant

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Do you need the backseat each time you go someplace? Removing that and the resonance weights in the bumpers is probably good for 200#.

And this always kind of blew my mind, but one day I was thinking about stuff and realized driving around with a full tank of gas actually reduces mileage

#cantsitandwatch

·
Registered
112 Posts
...just be realistic on the expected outcome!
No doubt about this. With modding its best to set expectations low and be pleasantly surprised every now and then!

I'd love to see 2-3 mpg, if I could get that under $1000 and it took some thinking and wrench work, even better! TO ME (that's the key I guess) that is worth the effort and is fun. I'm working on an exhaust that will flow way better than the OEM stuff and I believe it will make a noticeable difference, or fail miserably. Details to come on that!

Sorry I just get my feathers ruffled when someone response is a stern, NO, cant be done, don't try, buy a prius. I just got my truck and if I improve MPG now by 10%, it'll pay off for me in the long run!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
So, I will chime in with some realistic food for thought. There are loads of Internet things to do that will net better gas mileage. The RRS is a poor subject for 90% of these things.

The theory of more torque and horsepower will net you better gas mileage is already proven to be false. This truck has been available in horsepower ranges from 290 to 510 over a 9 year span and everyone has gotten the same gas mileage 13-20 depending on location and driving habits.

I am all for doing things and trying to get better results than others and empower anyone else to do the same. You just can't start getting offended when people that have been reading the same topics come and go for years chime in with the same response they gave the last 7-8 years it's been discussed.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
To be fair, and maybe to clarify, I’m not trying to discourage the modding process. Goodness knows I’ve done a ton of it as well on this RRS and loved each one so I'm sorry if my message came across as negative in nature.

I’m just trying to clarify that being concerned about getting MPG on the RRS is somewhat of a misplaced goal…the sum total of all of the modifications won’t net much materially, but shouldn’t be a barrier to trying, just not likely to prove to be significant.

If one is terribly concerned about trying to massively improve MPG on this vehicle, it seems to be an odd goal since the vehicle is an elephant and will always be one. I see folks suggesting “coasting”, closing windows, right lane driving, soft right foot, etc..and those are great techniques for hypermiling in vehicles such as a Prius or VW TDI. I just don’t think they do much for the RRS.

It does bring up another point…each vehicle lends itself to a certain style of driving. The 911 is always more likely to be driven in a spirited manner…that’s the nature of the sports car and the engine makes beautiful music when run thru the gears. The RRS can be driven WOT from time to time but is a great cruiser, can gobble up vast distances with incredible comfort and poise and make its way thru blizzards, sand, rock, snow and feel exceptionally sure footed, but is a thirsty beast. The TDI is just a plain vanilla commuter getting great MPG, but it doesn’t do it with much style or acceleration.

Each one does its job very well…trying to get one to do what the other does just doesn’t make much sense to me…sort of like those dudes in Honda Civics with monster spoilers on the back thinking that’s going to make the vehicle fly faster than before…Not going to happen!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well I am still happy to get between 30 and 40mpg at 70mph with A/c on in my chariot - and while instantaneous emissions might be worse than your gas guzzlers, over distance I actually produce less because of my superior fuel consumption. :)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
The mods are spot on about this topic. It's not a useless one but dare I say not *as* useful as other topics. I can't remember where in this forum I saw it but there was a thread that implied a "WTF?" Attitude about getting 13-20mpg in a Range Rover sport SC. I bought this car knowing full well that it is a gas guzzler, accepted this and made the purchase. Does it hurt me at the pump? Yes, some days I'll admit but I still love it and I still love learning more and more about it every day. Would I trade it for a tiny diesel sewing machine 100mpg smart car? HELL NO!

It's not about the "if you buy this expensive car than you should be able to afford the gas for it.". But I do think that before you decide to buy, get realistic about what you can expect from this type of car and accept it. Otherwise buy a VW TDI.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not really. As far as I know they are recalling the cars that were affected and that's about it. The diesel market in Canada is still in its infancy but growing fast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So you're saying I should abort the aerodynamic mods I had planned?

In all seriousness, I will continue to think about this and improve where I can. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I will continue to seek out tail winds on my way to work. Whether I'll get to work or not is another story... As long as I'm saving gas.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts