RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
I Drive a 44 Tonne Fuel Tanker for a living and we're constantly told about Fuel saving. Cruise control whenever possible, no harsh braking. cruising upto roundabouts and junctions to keep it moving and not accelerating downhill. There also not keen on us using the air-con.
Driving like this does improve the figures on the Truck anyway. Hope this helps, and yes I'm tempted to tow the Fuel Tank with my RR SC.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
LOL Rolls Royce never used to quote mpg figures for their V8 6.25 Ltr. cars and when asked they would tell you " If you have to ask you can't afford the car " and if asked about the power you would be told "Adequate" hehe, maybe the same should apply to a 2+tonne RR with a 5 litre supercharged V8 lol. As in the old days of driving if you wanted to be economical you drive the engine gentle to near max torque figure (not max BHP figure) for your engine then allow the change to happen by easing the foot off the loud pedal, changing up at too low an rpm actually uses more fuel because you are laboring the engine, unfortunately in previous times the engine would pink to warn us of it laboring but now with modern EFi and knock sensors the timing is just retarded automatically to prevent pinking so its hard to tell if its laboring or not and yes the auto box will let it change too early because they are now electronic controlled, in effect forcing the gear change, and not vacuum controlled as before. Hope this helps:wink:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
I get 20 miles per average on highway. I also have a C-Max Energi that teaches how to maximized miles. Number one decrease your speed most important stay on the right lane and let other cars past you, I do 60 miles per hour when I can on the highways max 65 miles even in 70 miles per hour zones in California,Coast as much as you can keep your foot off the gas pedal, not a problem with light traffic but I admit in heavy fast traffic it can be challenging,minimize stop and go if possible, use cruise control as much as possible, avoid the hilly regions if possible.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
sooo common sense things taught in high school driver's ed classes since the 80's. :thumb:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
431 Posts
I'm also getting around 14 U.S. mpg mixed - best tank 18 mpg on freeway under 65 mph ...

Yep - let auto box shift and keep speed down ...

Gas is < $3 per gal in California now !!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
I'm cool with the gas mileage because I knew about it before buying the truck but I think it's cool to play around with it. Lately I've started putting the car in neutral to coast on the downhills. Who cares anyway we spend all that power getting over the hill why not let the energy we've gained take us the rest of the way down.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Likewise! I'm currently sitting at 17.4 with a 60/40 split with the emphasis in city.

You guys must be lead foots :) I have an average of 17.8 on my trip computer. With just a hair over 15k miles on my 2011 HSE Lux, that is the running average since new. I mix about 50/50 hwy/city and do NOT drive it like an old lady. 8-0=

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
I've found that slighty (and I do mean slightly) over inflated tires will help improve MPG. In Canada techs will usually set the tire pressure to 32PSI but when they switched my tires over to 45's instead of 40 they were underinflated at 32 (TPMS kept going off) so I increased it to 40 and since then no alarms and a nice enough ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
The gas I choose makes a difference.

If I'm outstate, I can occasionally find a gas station with ethanol free gas. That gives me 2+mpg - to about 17mpg.

Ethanol sucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
-Keeping the windows up, especially on the highway helps quite a bit
-On the freeway: go to manual mode and go straight to 6th and stay there, then set cruise control = no downshifts on hills! (credit: randomdevice)
-Lowering the truck should help
-Anything that improves performance should help (chip, quality exhaust, replace cats at 100k, maybe performance air filter...)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Trying to intentionally get better mileage on a 6000 lbs beast is really an odd goal. It's not a Prius...and doesn't share any characteristics of a high mileage vehicle. It's going to range from 12-20 depending on length of trip, type of driving etc.

Flip the script and it's like saying, how can I get my Passat TDI to accelerate like my 911? It's not going to happen.

You could drive all day long with the windows open vs. the windows closed and you might get a slight delta in MPG...hardly worth the effort. The purpose of this car is NOT to get good MPG, it's a different driving experience than a Prius or Passat TDI hyper miler.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trying to intentionally get better mileage on a 6000 lbs beast is really an odd goal. It's not a Prius...and doesn't share any characteristics of a high mileage vehicle. It's going to range from 12-20 depending on length of trip, type of driving etc.

Flip the script and it's like saying, how can I get my Passat TDI to accelerate like my 911? It's not going to happen.

You could drive all day long with the windows open vs. the windows closed and you might get a slight delta in MPG...hardly worth the effort. The purpose of this car is NOT to get good MPG, it's a different driving experience than a Prius or Passat TDI hyper miler.
I respectfully disagree. You CAN make a Passat TDI pull on a 911 it just takes money and ingenuity. The above and several posts on this thread as so defeatist its kind of sad. NO we are never going to make the RRS get Prius gas mileage or 911 speed but that doesn't mean we can talk about ideas, mods and strategy to get there. Its worth discussing seriously and I am game to give my .02.

My goal is to get my RRS back to pre-big tires MPG (20mpg on trips)...I think it can be done too. Will it be free, no, will it be fun, yes! As posted elsewhere, I think adding power and TQ will get me to my goals, I will be documenting my progress, for what its worth. :) Where are all the frugal engineers?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts