RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member to the forum.

I just got me RRS Lux 2 weeks ago and am average just a tad below 14mpg. mix of highway and local/city driving. I've already had to fill up twice and with gas prices soaring in the north east, was wondering if you guys had any ideas/mods to improve mileage.

i know i know, drive less, park it, under 70 mph, etc. i've been driving conservatively, in manual shift mode and all.

just wondering if there's any jedi tricks that were being passed around. thanks

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
None. Big V8 + heavy chassis (dual chassis actually) = low mpg. Just modulate the gas pedal, drive with a light foot. I get about 13-14 mpg as well. Although I should probably invest in a gas station at this point, the feeling of security with the added weight and confidence from the 4x4 system make it worth it.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
All of the above plus leave it in auto and let the computers do their job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
aside from the usual check your tire pressure, drive with a light foot, and check that your truck has been recently serviced and in good working order, there isn't much you can do. I wonder if leaving it in snow mode so it starts in second all the time might help, but im not sure that would be good for the truck, or the traction control system thinking you are on snow when you are on pavement.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
24 Posts
agree leave it in auto, and try to keep it the shifts under 2000 rmp i got a magniflow exhaust and it improved my mpg by almost 3 miles per gallon avg. i currently get 16 exactly and i also have nitrogen in the tires idk if that will help out too but its worth a shot and yeah im down for a gas staition too :tongue:

·
Registered
66 Posts
agree leave it in auto, and try to keep it the shifts under 2000 rmp i got a magniflow exhaust and it improved my mpg by almost 3 miles per gallon avg. i currently get 16 exactly and i also have nitrogen in the tires idk if that will help out too but its worth a shot and yeah im down for a gas staition too :tongue:
3MPGs with a new exhaust, eh...I'm down for some of that! I'm also down for splittling a gas station ;)
Do you recall approximately how much the exhaust was?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i got my exhaust from a local place they dont make anything pre fab. for HSE models so i had to get it special made its a magniflow and with all the parts and labor ran me about 750 but it has already paid for itself and sounds amazing!! be careful with intakes tho they do allow for alot more particles to get into your system. i dont have a link cuz it was a local shop i got referred to them by my dealer so i would just look up shops close to you and find a good price

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much of an increase in sound is actually in the cabin? So 3 mpg increase is big

·
Registered
107 Posts
You guys must be lead foots :) I have an average of 17.8 on my trip computer. With just a hair over 15k miles on my 2011 HSE Lux, that is the running average since new. I mix about 50/50 hwy/city and do NOT drive it like an old lady. 8-0=

·
Premium Member
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
134 Posts
Cruise Control. I use it in all my cars and it really helps. I've been averaging 15.6 the last I checked but it just turned 1400 Miles today so she's still breaking in. Remember, were dealing with Winter blend Gas now also, which doesn't help either.

Our 2011 BMW X5 with the 3.5/300HP engine is our normal commuter car and normally averages averages 24.5+MPG, but I've noticed it down to around 23.5-ish MPG this winter and we really haven't had any snow or extreme cold weather to deal with.

I hear ya on the Gas station, but we've chosen to drive big vehicles for the security, etc... so it's the price we have to pay.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Classic
41 Posts
Call me Crazy but try only half fill your tank. Say 11 galls. $50 ...... get's an extra 1 or 2 mpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
What I do is, fill it up, ride around 2 gallons off, go back to the gas station, & slow pump it & I usually get another 4-5 gallons in the tank; my average is 15mpg, but I'm getting more gas in the tank so I can run about 330-355 miles before stopping again.. & this is more street than highway for me (not a huge difference, maybe 60-40)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Sorry, wrong category. Meant for the L322 group

·
Registered
10 Posts
Call me Crazy but try only half fill your tank. Say 11 galls. $50 ...... get's an extra 1 or 2 mpg
I agree. If you are doing city/street fill to only half or so. It saves the weight and does increase my mpg slightly. Don't forget to remove the stuff in the trunk and take off the 22's for extra mileage!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts