RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I have a 2014 L405 and love the Rotary Shifter. Hey...It's fun.

I am looking to purchase a 2011 or 2012 SC Range Rover as a third car and would like to know if it's possible to retrofit the U.K. Style Rotary shifter that was used in the later L322 Models.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
Duncan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Like This??
2012_land_rover_range_rover_19_1280x960.jpg

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
338 Posts
I just thought about this though, if it is possible. Wouldn't the rotary knob be on the wrong side? Since US cars are left hand drive cars and UK is right hand drive? The cupholders would be closest to you and the knob be closest to the passenger seat. And even then, I doubt that would be Interchangeable because the mechanism to put the car in Drive would be under the cupholders.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the LHD/RHD issue would be a problem but I was just thinking about the issue with manual gear selection or lack thereof. I guess I'd have to install paddle shifters?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
Is it actually a US/UK matter or is it just beyond a certain model year that they started using the rotary shifter? I think the change in shifter type corresponds also to a change in the gearbox type, 6 speed to 8 speed or something, can't remember. The older box may not even be compatible with a rotary shifter which if I'm not mistaken is purely electrical as opposed to the electrical plus bowden cable for the lever shifters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the 2010-2012 models still retained the same 6 speed gearbox here in the States. I'll do some homework. :)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
The rotary shifter is for the 8 speed "box" and it is electronically selected , the six speed used mechanical selection . i,e it would be A LOT of work to make a shifter system where the mechanical link was moved by stepper motors or whatever controlled by the rotary selector operating on custom software .
But hey I dare you to try `)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was just curious. I can think of about 193874729 things that I could waste my time on before that. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts