RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to carry out a cooling system overhaul on my 1990 RRC Vogue, its done 175kms/ 108 miles.

Im doing the waterpump, thermostat, radiator rodded, new coolant, check condition of hoses, reverse flush heater matrix.

What are people's experiences with waterpumps, go for the genuine or is aftermarket replacement fine? Im planning on keeping my RRC for many years so want to use reliable parts.

Any tips/ ideas from anyone re cooling system?

Cheers.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
The main problem with any water pump is the quality of the pumps bearings. No way of telling if you have bearings designed to last only a few years or longer.
Most will fail due to the steel bearings used, if you have a local re-builder ask about ceramic hybrid bearings if they are available.
These are designed to withstand ingress of coolant and are self lubricating.

I use an aftermarket water pump, as I have had 3 failed original pumps. New pump has been on since 2004, no issues.

To prolong the life or your cooling system and pump, flush your coolant every 2 years (green coolant). I use Dex-cool and flush every 2 years even thou its designed as a long life coolant. Coolant is cheaper than any coolant system component, cheap insurance I say!

Now I suggest you carefully inspect your fan blades for hair line cracks.
I've replaced my original fan with an Allmakes brand, that lasted only 1 year and was replaced under warranty (1 yr from my supplier). They offered an URO brand if I recall, but the quality is really bad, wavy blades and poorly stamped aluminum, so I settled on another Allmakes fan.

I've noticed hairline cracks on the new fan too, and the last time the fan shattered it took out my fan shroud and hood insulator.
I paid $150 for the OE insulation and $50 for a new fan shroud.
I'll be replacing the fan with a multi speed electric fan, run off a 2 speed VW fan switch and relay.

I'll keep the condensor fans and its fan switch, the VW fan switch will be attached via a hose adapter or I'll modify the radiator.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric D said:
To prolong the life or your cooling system and pump, flush your coolant every 2 years (green coolant). I use Dex-cool and flush every 2 years even thou its designed as a long life coolant. Coolant is cheaper than any coolant system component, cheap insurance I say!

Good call about coolant being cheaper than any cooling system component. The owner of my brother's Nissan Safari/ Patrol never used coolant, only straight water and the head gasket blew not long after he brought the car and had to get a radiator re-core and the head machined.

Do we use a 50/50 coolant/ water ratio? Is de-mineralised water necessary for 2 year drain intervals?

I've never seen Dex-Cool down here in NZ, maybe I could get it through a local Holden/ GM dealer but will probably go for Nulon Long Life Coolant, seems to be the standard for alloy motors in Aus/ NZ.

My Uncle says plenty of early Rover V8s down here in NZ suffered an early death due to incompatable coolants being used for the alloy motor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would use reverse osmoses water no mater how often you plan to change. Any coolant that is compatible for aluminum blocks should do, but you get what you pay for. 50/50 is standard but I would go with what it recommends on the bottle.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
Nulon Red is compatible with Dex-cool.
You could also use Toyota red or VW G12 (pink) coolants.

Never mix coolants from Green to red/pink, you'll get gelling and what has been described as mud.

You can easily flush any old coolant 1st by draining and filling with water, then drain again. Repeat several times till the water is clear.
You could also use a commercially available coolant flush product, so many products exist and each has its own instructions for its use.

Only after the cooling system is clean can you change coolants.
Follow the bottles recommendation for the ratio.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric D said:
Only after the cooling system is clean can you change coolants.
I'll agree there, I saw a photo at the radiator shop of a 20 year old radiator that had never mixed coolants and had been changed at proper intervals, looked very clean inside etc and next to it a photo of a 18 month old radiatior that had mixed coolants, looked all dirty with scaley build up.

Flushing and keeping the radiator clean is very cheap cooling system insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts