RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did one of my periodic inspections of the spare wheel well today and indeed it is now a water well with 15cm of water residing there.
So i guess i have a leaking tailgate seal or blocked sunroof drain
Having read many posts with this problem, I am curious of the ratio of blocked sunroof drains to leaking tailgate seals that have been the cause of this issue.
Please let me know,those of you having had this issue, which of these two causes turned out to be your problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did not - but one on my friends did - the rear hoses became too short - so in stead of leading water out the rear wheel arches - it led the water directly into the "well"... Well done Land Rover"

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I currently have the problem and it appears to be the rear seal. If the carpet isn't wet around the front of the well, then its probably not coming from the sunroof drains. If you have an air compressor, you can always blow some air into the drains to verify they are clear. I haven't replaced the seal yet because it costs so much and the dry season is approaching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine was the rear sunroof drain Driver side, I pulled the necessary panels off to gain access and the splice where the hoses connect became twisted and came apart so it was draining right onto the wheel well next to the subwoofer and down to the spare tire well. I reconnected it and put a ziptie around the splice to secure it from future failures, I also took apart the passenger side and ziptied that splice for good measure. Feel for water on the carpet near the wheel wells and I think you'll have found the culprit, mine was soaked!

·
Registered
517 Posts
On our last one it was all three.

The 2 mentioned and the one way valve for the rear washer was leaking

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Mine was leaking into the well, replaced the seal, bent the metalwork as described. Still leaks from somewhere around the seal.
Ended up knocking out the well plug in the base. Fixed a small piece of mesh over it, all's good :thumb:

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Roof drains, was my problem..

Scotty

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I have found the carpet on the floor just in front of the CD changer area to be wet.
This am I have removed the all the panels and the CD changer and sub woofer assembly.Nothing obvious and no sign of leakage from the sunroof drain.
I am leaving it in this state for the time being and will observe what happens when it next rains.(which it does regularly at the moment).
I have read the mod for the tailgate seal.Seems a bit of a mission to do.Want to be sure before attempting it.As the rangie has only just started leaking after 15 years,it may well be something else more simple.I hope. :pray:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have taken the panels off mine and the drain tubes go into the one way valves which are located on the rear wing. Water is still getting in despite remaking the join there. Is there another join further up that I have missed?.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've recently had this problem too. I had poured some water through the sunroof drains and it all seemed to drain to the ground outside the car ok. Tailgate seal seems in good condition and is secure (it's the later 'split' type too). Much head-scratching then ensued trying to figure out where all this water was coming from.

Last weekend I removed the tailgate carpet trim and found traces of water that has been entering the car actually THROUGH the tailgate switch! (not past it as I renewed the seal between it and the tailgate some time ago).

Took out the switch and dismantled it. Full of dirt and rust (and water!), which was all probably stopping the internal o-ring doing its job. Cleaned it all up and greased it before putting it back. Hopefully it shouldn't let water through now, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I had wondered if there was an updated switch available if this was found to be a common problem, but I couldn't find anything on here. Worth checking the tailgate switch if you have the 'water well' prob though guys!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
Cornishman said:
Ended up knocking out the well plug in the base. Fixed a small piece of mesh over it, all's good :thumb:
X2...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts