RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that the water temp sensor (green) on my car has been connected on the one wire directly to earth on the car Im talking about the sensor on the left side when looking at the engine,the other wire seems to run fine into the car does anyone know what the point of this would be?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will take one when it stops raining and post it, the wire runs towards the alarm sounder and earths itself there

·
Registered
701 Posts
Probably because if it connects to the original ground, it will cause the stupid short that mine has. The short caused my temp gauge to say the vehicle is overheating, and the needle goes more towards the red as I use more electrical power. Post the picture PLEASE! lol I want to fix this stupid issue with mine.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please see photos

Sensor on left with aditional earth wire attached

[attachment=1:2hdti0nq]10052010071.jpg[/attachment:2hdti0nq]

Were the aditional earth connects, you can see the yellow connector attched to the body

[attachment=0:2hdti0nq]10052010070.jpg[/attachment:2hdti0nq]

I removed each one of the plugs seperatly and strted the engine to see if there was any change at the temp guage, but nothing happened

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
JeremyD said:
Any ideas guys?
nothing will happen unless you drive the car for a long distance not at idle.
If it don't break don't worry about it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been driving between cape town and namibia 900km with no problems, its not OEM and I dont like it thats all also I would like to know why it was done so I know

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
JeremyD said:
Ive been driving between cape town and namibia 900km with no problems, its not OEM and I dont like it thats all also I would like to know why it was done so I know
If it is that much of an issue rewire it back to "OEM" and see what happens. If an issue develops then you will know why it was done. Once a work around is done or an aftermarket item is placed on a rig there is little folks can do to tell why. We can only be sure of how it was from the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree!
If nothing wrong with ur rig leave it alone before something just popup in the middle of nowhere

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It looks like a re-routed alternative sensor. You should have a small diameter sensor right next to the brown multiplug. That and the brown one are temperature sensors on the early GEMS engines. That one at the front (green multiplug) certainly isn't present on mine. Maybe it could be a fixture for hot climate, relating to operation of the auxillary fan? Microcat would tell me. PM your VIN and I will check.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rich998a said:
It looks like a re-routed alternative sensor. You should have a small diameter sensor right next to the brown multiplug. That and the brown one are temperature sensors on the early GEMS engines. That one at the front (green multiplug) certainly isn't present on mine.
Doesn't the Bosch Engine have a Green Temp Sensor?

Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
There must have benn a issue with the earth wire within the harness, the one wire going to earth is ok but they could have done it within the very same harness.

Now that you have picked up on this issue it would be wise to check the earthing on the engine harness, its a thickish black wire that supplies a earth to injectors and a few other bits

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info lrscott but there was another P38 I had a look at with exactly the same fitting maybe it was standard for SA,

Viperover My earth is fine this is the only strange wire on the whole car

Thanks for all the help guys

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I forgot to check the VIN for you... :doh:

I expect it is a 'hot climate' fitting though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 98' Gems 4.6 U.K. spec and it has both The Brown and Green Sensors fitted and the wiring is actually part of the Harness so it would appear to be a Original and not a After Fitment. I have owned the vehicle for 8 years so I know it's been there that long.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts
so lets say i wanted to do this fix without buying the kit...

black wire is ground, piggyback another ground wire onto this wire and over to the ground on the right fender well?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts