RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I noticed today that once again my rubber overmats in front footwells were damp despite the Rover not being used for over a week. I have noticed once or twice water dripping from behind the steering column lower shroud. Having removed the rubber mats i then removed the carpet mats which were soaked through (driver and passenger side). Then i removed the heavy rubberised/foam backed mats, these were also damp. Am now down to the metal as it were. But... i can see daylight. Driver and passenger side have rotted through ( since last June!) in same place. The edge of the toeboard where it joins what i guess is the inner wing and down to where the toeboard becomes the flat floor. I havent had chance to do a thorough inspection yet but i have some questions...
1) any idea where the water is coming from behind the column surround?
2) are floor/toeboard repairs difficult/expensive?
3) what products would you recommend for treating the underside/chassis to prevent further corrosion? i am thinking a rust killer, several coats of red oxide then waxoyl.

Apologies for the huge posting! and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rust is a big issue for classics, the best way to fix it is to cut it out and wield in new metal. For surface rust a wire wheel and some rust paint will work, por-15 is a good product. For prevention Waxoyl is good but dont forget about the inside of box sections (rear body cross-member, frame rails, sills, a b and c pillars, upper tailgate) use a good inner panel protector. Make sure to get the doors and under the hood. I have patched holes in floors by riveting or screwing in thin aluminum and then using tar to seal it up, not as good as wielding but alot quicker. Prevention is easier and quicker than repair so if you plan to keep it for a while dont skimp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a/c & heater plumbing troubles. If the heater core fails this often creates leaks. Do you own any small children? You will need them to get up under the dash!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might want to look here. Here it rusts and has been known to leak into the car and heater or windshield blamed for it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's not a particularly difficult repair and shouldn't be too costly. I've done it in a couple of hours, and I'm no professional when it comes to welding!

Once it's done I would suggest you run seam sealer around the welds - available from most motor spares places - to help prevent them rusting out again. Then a good coat of red oxide primer, then whatever finishing paint you want to use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for all the info folks!
i feel a session with a wire brush coming on, hope theres something left when i am finished!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts