RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 RRS with 62k miles on it, after a few months i noticed some slight engine rattling. Took it to a recommended shop and they told me it was my water pump, so 775.00 later it was replaced March of last year. I then went to another shop (previous one sold its land after 20+ years in business) that they recommended their customers go to going forward for an oil change and they advised me I had coolant leaking. They performed a pressure test and identified it as the water pump and advised me it needed to be replaced. They showed me with a flashlight the leaking spots as i wanted to see it firsthand.

I told them i just had it replaced at the shop that recommended me to them, 9 months ago. Does anyone h
ave any idea why the new one (i believe it is an OEM LR part as the first shop told me there was a technical issue on these and they redesigned the hoses and something else as it was a known issue) would be leaking after being replaced recently? They are quoting me another 800.00 to replace it, wth?!

Problem is now the old shop has been closed for 6 months or so and i don't seem to have a lot of recourse getting Land Rover to replace these parts under the 1 year warranty as i don't have proof of purchase and i called the dealership in the same city, assuming they purchased the pump and hoses from them, they didn't have a record to reference.

Advice?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If it was a genuine pump I would be looking at your fan. The fan must run absolutely true. A fan even the slightest bit out of balance or warped will vibrate and ruin the front seal in the water pump. Once the seal starts to weep the shaft will go out of balance and it a fast downhill run to failure.

Out of curiosity, which shop closed up? I'd hate to recommend one of my old haunts if they aren't there any longer.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was a genuine pump I would be looking at your fan. The fan must run absolutely true. A fan even the slightest bit out of balance or warped will vibrate and ruin the front seal in the water pump. Once the seal starts to weep the shaft will go out of balance and it a fast downhill run to failure.

Out of curiosity, which shop closed up? I'd hate to recommend one of my old haunts if they aren't there any longer.
I would have never guessed that to be the issue causing it to fail, so thanks for that idea to check out. It was Superior Automotive in old Bellevue. They were there for a few generations and construction is going on down there, think the owner finally couldn't say no to a developer making a nice offer for that desired piece of land. He mentioned they were looking to move soon, perhaps the offer sent him into retirement?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Oh that's just sad. They were terrific with a couple of my cars that I didn;t want to work on... ages ago. Have you tried Bigg's over on BelRed? They're terrific to work with. The brothers worked for the old Cadillac/Land Rover/Sterling dealer at Seattle Center prior to opening their own shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts