RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my water pump and noticed that a 1 inch piece of the casting on the impeller was missing. This explains some horrible sounds that came from the waterpump while driving on the freeway. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this ? I'm concerned that after installing the new waterpump that the chuck of metal will cause new problems. There are deep scratches in the water pump that suggest that it was sucked into the coolant jacket on the passenger side of the block. :shock:

Below are some pictures of the old waterpump. The dark lines on the impeller are gouges from the broken casting.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Concerning certainly. Not quite sure what you can do about it as i take it you can't see the missing piece?

However, at least it should be 'downstream' from the pump and hopefully well wedged out of harms way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I think some pieces of the metal were found when I took the intake manifold off. I'm going to start putting everything back together tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
rufant wrote:
well wedged, out of harms way.

Im affraid those 2 phrases may be mutually exclusive according to Mr Murphy's law of probability.
Well now you've gone and jinxed it... :wink:

On second thoughts some hose action in the cooling system might have flushed it clean, or might have just wedged it in harms way. Oh well, good excuse for a 4.6 or Chev V8 conversion :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts