RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've decided that my water pump must be on it's way out. I was quoted $650 for replacement by a reputable local shop for just the pump, gasket, and additional coolent and well gents, in the words of General George Washington, "**** that". So I've decided to do it myself. I typically always order from Atlantic British (I'm in the States) and I understand the OEM $170 one is a better option to the aftermarket $109 one. That being said, what else should I go ahead and replace while I'm at it? The truck has 97k miles on it, I know little about the maintenance on it, and I understand that you have to pull several items to replace the pump anyway. So what I'm looking for is links to the appropriate hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, belts, anything you guys think would be worth while to replace if I'm having to pull it out anyway. It's a 4.0L.

Thanks in advance. In return, I'll photograph and document the whole process and add it to this topic.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I would replace your oil pressure sender oring and cam sensor oring while the pump is off. Naturally check coolant hose condition. Oil cooler hoses seep at the metal crimps as they age, it wouldn't hurt to give them a check. Of course clean, clean, clean.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
As a matter of course, I replaced my drive belt and tensioner whilst It was stripped down :thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
I got it out by just removing the fan + viscous clutch, and of course the belt and hoses. 4.6 GEMS 1995. I followed the Rave manual. By far the most work was cleaning the gasket remnants off of the block. :shock:

And I did it twice in a year because the first time, I installed the cheapest pump I could find. :roll:

And I did it a third time because the second time, I put the gasket on wrong. :oops:

Take a picture of the how the belt runs so you'll know for sure how to put it back. Put a big spanner on the tensioner to release the tension and take off the belt. The fan comes off the viscous clutch by putting on a big wrench and hit that with a wooden mallet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts