RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My P38 not being a new car (not by a long shot), while driving I'm always half listening for new, unexplained noises.

There has been such a new unexplained noise now. :?

It came from the engine bay and with a stethoscope I found out it comes from inside the water pump. It's best described as some small metallic thingy is loose inside, making a tick, tick, tick, tickerthetick like noise.

The water pump was replaced earlier this year (by me) with a very cheaply made aftermarket pump. It wasn't exactly cheap but the alignment between the casting and the hole pattern was way off, if you can picture that in your head. I haven't had any cooling / pump problems yet, no leakage either, but since it's tickertheticking I'm pondering replacing it anyway, with a genuine part this time. From what I gather on this forum cooling is not something to be messed with.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Some After market ones are good, I know there was a issue with waterpumps a good few months back
Had the same problem here but seems to be sorted out now proberly as a new manufacturer has been sourced in..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well replaced it with OEM part and that definitely looked better. Like it was machined more precise. Noise is gone, too.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
i installed one from the parts store, everything lined up perfectly and not had an issue with it. so there are good after market ones out there.

martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
A friend of mine installed a Allmakes water pump. The thing lasted 1000km.
He risked a rebuilt t linered engine for a little amount.
Bought a Genuine then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts