RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow stripped one of the short bolt holes when installing my water pump. I'm guessing I have to helicoil it.

I have inserts that fit the water pump bolts. Is that the right size? Any suggestions or advice?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
You have inserts that fit the bolt, but are asking if its the right size?
Confused I guess.

Martin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm asking is that the inserts I have laying around fit the current bolts. Will that insert be big once I tap the hole, or will I need to tap a bigger hole, and use a bigger insert and bolt to make sure I get a good bite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You certainly do not want to drill a hole the same size as the outside diameter of the insert. It is important to drill the right size hole so there is ample material left to thread it for the insert.
Check this site out for the correct drill size info:
http://www.helicoil.in/

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Measure the diameter at the inlet of the tap. (Where the grooves are starting) If this size is the same as the hole you could tap without drilling especially in soft material like aluminum. In many situations I have been able to tap straight into the hole where the thread was stripped out. It is not always easy to drill the hole bigger. Just be carefull and make sure to use a sharp tap, plenty of cutting oil and to remove the tap for cleaning frequently before cutting the next turn.

Regards

Jos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts