RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i'm a long time visitor and this is my first time posting. I'm in need of understanding the bolt placement for a water pump (replacement) on a 1991 RRC 3.9l. I tried keeping track of all the bolts when removing the worn-out unit but dropped all, and scrambling up my system (for obvious reasons my system wasn't good to begin with).

I purchased a new pump and bolt kit from Atlantic British (Water Pump Bolt Kit For Range Rover, Defender - STC483FK) but now need to understand the bolt placements. RAV manual specifies the four long one's but the kit comes with a 1x 6", 1x 5.5", and 2x 5" bolts... which has me scratching my head. Same goes for all the other shorter bolts. Any help or picture would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
456 Posts
"In field" method, just put all the bolts where they look right until they touch the start of the threads, then turn with your fingers just half a turn.

With them all like that they should be sticking out (head to face casting dimension) to the same distance.

Move them from one location to another by swapping until you get them all level and that should be their home.

Now gently do them up using low torque to make sure you've got none wrong until they seat down, then final torque to set.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Forgot to add, it's one of life's mystery as most working on these will have forgotten at least a couple of times ;)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give that a go! And, thank you for the quick response... on a separate note... would you suggest I add RTV to the gasket or just use the gasket alone?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't routinely use RTV but ordinarily a very thin coat of Hylomar Blue on each side of the gasket.

There's not usually a problem with these sealing so not a big issue, just that I don't like to go back over something I've fixed and find the above particularly effective.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
214 Posts
I'll give that a go! And, thank you for the quick response... on a separate note... would you suggest I add RTV to the gasket or just use the gasket alone?
I generally always put a thin layer of RTV just as added leak protection (no leaks yet!) but just a thin layer, too much and blobs can block openings or break off and float into the coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts