RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday, removed the AC compressor to remove one of the clutch shims. While there, saw that one of the water pump bolts have come loose and it's threaded part can be seen. There were 2-3 drops of coolant but no over heating or loss of coolant.
Since the pump is attached with 4 bolts and one is loose or cracked front cover, can I run the car ignoring this?
See the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here is a blown up look , mabey just use a open end wrench to snug it back.
Annotation 2019-04-22 190145.jpg

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the bolt is visible & bolt hole (front cover) has opened.
Just tightening won't help. It is a Cylinder head out job to replace the front cover which I want to avoid if possible.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If it hasn't been leaking I'd say to leave it but keep a close eye on it. You don't know how long it's been like that anyway, it could have been like it for ages. From the close up picture it looks like there might be another bolt missing, between the one with the exposed thread and the one you can see at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I 2nd xrav22. Just get a wrench in there and snug it up. Better to take care of it now since you're in there rather than later when you start leaking or lose the bolt.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it hasn't been leaking I'd say to leave it but keep a close eye on it. You don't know how long it's been like that anyway, it could have been like it for ages. From the close up picture it looks like there might be another bolt missing, between the one with the exposed thread and the one you can see at the bottom.
Changed the water pump in mid February this year. That particular bolt was problematic and used some thread locker to get it seated. Now it appears to have loosened with a bolt hole part missing. Frequently I glance at the temp gauge to see any issues in advance. So far so good.

In diesel, water pump fixes onto the front cover-aluminium which again fit onto the engine block. To get the front cover, the head , sump & crank pulley need to come out.
The bolt hole you see in the middle is not for a fixing bolt (10 mm) , it is to assist removal by inserting a 12 mm bolt there.
Can I use something like JB Weld or Aeraldite , to fix it without removing?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-tighten the bolt & good use of JB weld fixed it.
No leaks, all back to normal. Will get a timing cover & change mine when time permits, though it 's not necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts