Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just washed car for first time since our snow and found these marks all over the horizontal rear metal band just below the window. The car has been babied and opti-coated. All I can think of is maybe salt from the snow BUT Dallas doesnt really spread salt they use sand and the car made 1 trip in it. It is not anywhere else on the car.

1. Ideas of what caused it and
2. Please give me ideas of what to do. I can't tell if it is ON the trim or pitted into it but not coming off with normal stuff and I'm worried about damaging it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Looks like hard water. You need to wash with car wash detergent it will go away. I had something similar during the snow but it comes off with just soap. Try the untensils soap that is easy on hands then rinse well.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Looks like contamination. If it is, soap and water won't remove it. I would get a clay bar and some rubbing compound (even cheap Meguiar's Scratch X) and see if that takes it off.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SVR
484 Posts
I second the clay suggestion. Is that really metal? I think it is painted plastic on my ATB.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke too soon. That's what happens when you work on the car at night in the garage. Looked great until I got out into the daylight. Next up - DUCKY Waterspot remover has been recommended.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Good luck. There is also the possibility that you have a bad trim piece and the finish has failed. If the water remover doesn't work go back to the dealer and have them order you a new tailgate trim piece under warranty.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
If your detailer opti coated the truck take it back to him. That looks like opti coat failure. It's rare but occasionally the coating lifts and crazes like old laquer clear.

If it is that then only machine polishing is going to remove the opticoat and will In turn remove the marking.

Also on an opti coat vehicle scratch x isn't going to do anything. The low abrasive of that product wouldn't even scratch the surface (pun intended).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out it is a defective piece. I did run through ever spot and scratch remover I could get my hands on and found the Meguiar's Scratch X to have made the biggest dent in it. Says not to use on plastic but I figured I had nothing to lose. Dealer was happy to replace the part which will be in after a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad you figured this out, and it will be taken care of but any clue how to remove this trim piece from the tailgate? Ive searched the forum and havent been able to locate any information removal of it. I want to wrap, or replace mine with a black one and ill need to remove it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you only knew the level of my inability to do anything to my car. Crowbar? I'll leave that answer to Trez or someone way more talented than me. I have seen that done in black and it looks REALLY good. Good call on that and please post a picture when you are done. If I were smart, I'd ask them to wrap it black before they install it but at this point, I'm ready to just get it on. Question...anything I can coat it with so it doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
274 Posts
That depends upon the failure of the part. XPEL is probably among the most common "best" protections from the elements that you can get, but if it fails from the base material toward the surface, "nothing" is the answer.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,662 Posts
Glad you figured this out, and it will be taken care of but any clue how to remove this trim piece from the tailgate? Ive searched the forum and havent been able to locate any information removal of it. I want to wrap, or replace mine with a black one and ill need to remove it.
The piece is held on the same way as the letters are, with double sided sticky tape. Use a hairdryer to heat up the piece and the metal underneath. Don't get too close and melt the plastic. Feel the metal with your other hand. It should only get as hot as a body panel on a hot day. Use floss and get it between the tape and tailgate. Wear vinyl or nitrile gloves. You'll go through a few yards of tape because it will break numerous times but it will come off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.