RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all of the parts necessary to replace the timing cover to block gasket on my 1977 4.6 P38. Since I have to pull the oil pan to accomplish this task, I have a question. The Range Rover has 173000 miles on it. There is a very light no load knock (only I seem to be able to hear this) when the engine is cold. Should I replace the rod main bearings while I have the pan off, it looks like it wouldn't be that major an issue to do at that time, or am I possibly risking causing more problems.

·
Registered
449 Posts
if you are removing the sump then you can replace or just remove and inspect or just tighten the mains (check that bearings are torqued up properly). if you have a small rattle on start up it is most likely cam or lifters ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Unless its had a serious overhaul in the past, at 173,000 miles thats a pretty weary engine. Generally reckoned that by 200,000 miles you are on borrowed time. Given that its not worth bothering to inspect and fix possible causes of small noises. Especially as disturbing worn but still functional components often leads to failure soon afterwards. Good coat of looking at, and maybe shake the rods to verify all is tight, should be plenty if all looks original and factory round there.

Obviously if anything does look iffy then a deeper inspection is needed along with a fix. But on an engine coming up to refurb time where do you stop! In your position I'd be beginning to sort out the list of things to be done to freshen up the motor or costing out a full re-build.

Clive

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Clive. I am not in a situation at the moment to be able to afford a full rebuild although, I would like to. To my knowledge, the engine has never been into. It runs extremely well, burns no oil, leaks very little oil (yes, it is full), starts first time every time, and according to my nanocom, all the trim numbers appear to be close to the factory numbers. Gets about 18mpg on the highway which I understand is pretty good. I never ask it to work too hard, rarely sees rpms above 3000. I might be in a better situation next year.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
you mentioned your truck to be a 77 and Im sure its a typo thus a 97 gems, if such is the case the gems does not need to have the oil pan removed in order to remove the front cover.
if it is a 99 to 02 range (04 on d2) bosh engine then yes you need to remove oil pan before removing the front cover.
as far as overhaul and cost vrs budget, it is a personal choice. if you plan on just doing bearings, it can be done in frame from under vehicle with out pulling the heads. fair warning it is not easy specially the rear main and the "T" seals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I did a rebuild on my '95 (GEMS) I had to remove the sump before removing the front cover. The front cover has dowels locating it so has to be pulled off straight towards the front of the vehicle, and it also has studs at the bottom going through the sump pan, making it impossible to pull forwards without pulling it up first.
If you take off the sump, it's easy to check the centre main bearings for wear, giving you an idea of what the other bearings might be like.
I agree it would be a challenge to replace the rear main in situ. Not impossible, but not easy.
Also, just FYI, it's a four bolt mains, two underneath and two through the side of the block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts