RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, experienced my first big rain storm in the RR today.

I'd read about the plugged sunroof drain tubes so I decided to check everything out when I got home, and wouldn't you know it the passenger side floor carpeting was damp...

I checked the drain tube behind the side vent and I could see water dripping out very slowly, and I could see some gunky stuff sitting in the tube. I pulled off the A-pillar trim (pop off the ABS oval with a flathead screwdriver from the bottom of the oval, 1 Torx T25 holding trim piece on) and checked the tube; everything feels snug, rubber feels soft which leads me to believe it may have been replaced in the past (also there's no nipple on the end, also leads me to believe it was replaced or at least chopped off?).

So, I got a steaming hot bottle of water, mixed in some bleach, and slowly poured it down the top of of the tube from the sunroof. At first it simply wasn't draining at all. I let it sit for a little bit, and when I checked again the water was dribbling out the tube. I continued pouring water in as soon as it would empty from the sunroof "pan" where the tube connects. Eventually, a large gatorade bottle of bleach/water later, and it was flowing freely down the tube and out the bottom of the truck behind the passenger wheel. This is some of the gunk I captured:

I thought everything was good, until I noticed some water still dripping from the top of the A-pillar/headliner area. My question is, is there somewhere else the water could be leaking in from that I should check while I'm in here? I'd think that because it was freely going down the tube that it must all be hooked up properly..

[/url]

Also, while researching I'd read that we can often get water leaks from poorly fitting/warped windshield cowls, which mine almost assuredly qualifies as.. Multiple places along the cowl aren't even touching glass any more. Could that be part of my wet floor as well?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Correct, if you take the cowel off you will see how water gets in. I used gorilla tape to create a water deflector.

R

·
0 Posts
That's what I needed to know, thanks!

I'm going to order a new one anyway, then I'll take a look and try to replicate what you've described ^^

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So last night we received flash flood amounts of rain last night. I went out to check on the RR this morning, opened the passenger door, and nearly 1/2 gallon of water came pouring out :-x

My drain tubes are still unclogged, but I doubt they could keep up with that amount of rain even in the best of circumstances.

I know my cowl isn't 100% great, but I used silicone to cover up the gaps until my new one arrives (still waiting on A-pillar trim clips too). I checked my pollen filter and it's dry, no signs of water damage there.

If the filter is dry am I likely getting water from somewhere else? I'm going to change the cowl regardless so hopefully that's the issue, just wondering if there's somewhere else I can look.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
You can get a new cowl for not a lot of money, but as the previous poster mentioned, if you take the cowl off you will see what I believe is a fresh air intake. I did a duct tape deflector for mine. There is a thread on this somewhere. But if your cabin filter is dry, that may not be your issue.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get a new cowl for not a lot of money, but as the previous poster mentioned, if you take the cowl off you will see what I believe is a fresh air intake. I did a duct tape deflector for mine. There is a thread on this somewhere. But if your cabin filter is dry, that may not be your issue.
Cowl arrived, now just waiting for A-Pillar trim clips and I'm parking inside until I get those installed. I'll definitely find a way to create a deflector for the intake just in case, but I was really expecting my filter to be drenched.

I'll likely have to double check my sunroof drains, they were clear as of May 11th when I started this thread, but maybe they still had some gunk left over and got plugged up again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts