RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in the car today and much to my suprise, water was dripping onto my hand. Have not investigated but it seems as though water was coming out of the overhead lights.... Unless I am mistaken, this is where the motor is for the sunroof, correct? What is the most common cause for this, clogged drain lines? Is there an easy fix for this? Can I just take the compressor and blow air through the line? Do I need to take the sun roof motor out and service it?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
I get it occasionally, too.

I don't know from where it comes. It's not from overflowing sunroof channels or clogged drains.

My wife wondered if it is from condensation in the roof.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The light just pops out of the headliner - take it down & look!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did pop the light down... everything looked dry for the most part but I can assure you, that is where the light was dripping from at 5 am... Will wait and see if it was a fluke thing... perhaps I did not have the sunroof closed all the way. Don't know...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
TheBoss said:
The light just pops out of the headliner - take it down & look!
I've done that and can't see where the water gets in. I even had a good look when I had the roof lining out. I replaced the rear drains as they looked a bit suss but it made no difference, I still get the occasional flow of water from the light.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same problem. As far as I know (it has not leaked since), it was an un-adjusted sunroof. I had taken down the sunroof headliner to redo the material, and apparently the rear corners of the glass were slightly low. It turns out that the sunroof cannot be flush with the roof...it must stick up slightly to make the seals flush with the edges.

·
Registered
517 Posts
NikeCheck246 said:
I had the same problem. As far as I know (it has not leaked since), it was an un-adjusted sunroof. I had taken down the sunroof headliner to redo the material, and apparently the rear corners of the glass were slightly low. It turns out that the sunroof cannot be flush with the roof...it must stick up slightly to make the seals flush with the edges.
The glass to roof seal is not water tight - hence the reason for the drains under the sunroof to drain away the water that leaks through this seal.

I just got inteested in this thread as my wife has just got home and reported she has just had a drip on her from the overhead lights.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had this problem for the first time (in five years of ownership) last week after heavy rain here in Melbourne.

I then had the drains cleaned but again this morning same thing after a heavy downpour - so like others it doesn't seem to be a drain issue. I had the embarrassing experience this morning of unclipping the light cover and draining the water onto a tea towel at a red light - observed with some hilarity by a BMW X5 driver next to me.

Do I take it from Nikecheck’s response that the sunroof needs to be in a position other than that which indicates in the message display on the dashboard that it is perfectly closed – supremely ironic. It can't do the electronics or my new headliner much good?

Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are adjustments detailed in Rave, and I understand it is not watertight. However, one can limit the ingress of water to keep as much on the roof as possible, rather than inside it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Here;s one to throw the spanner in the works....

I park my RR on a slight upward gradient facing up but with a heavy down pour it still fills up the frint interior light....new windscreen fitted so thats not the problem as it did it before.
Parked facing up must be sunroof, thinking maybe the foam draught strip that goes around is acting like a sponge of sorts until saturated at some point

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've noticed this too but it's NOT from the sunroof! because I don't have a sunroof! so in my case, it must be a build up of condensation. 8-0=

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the same problem, but my problem turned out to be the windshield.

After I cleaned all drains (one hidden near transmission was clogged up), the headliner still got wet after heavy rains.

Windshield has never been changed, but after I studied the truck for several hours, I determined that a small slit existed between the body of the truck and the windshield "rim" (or whatever you call the piece on top that goes above the windshield). So I ran a small bead of silicone in the crease all the way across. Silicone is messy, so I masked the truck first, like I was going to paint it. Rubbed the silicione in good.

Truck has never leaked inside since; been appr. 2 yrs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same inconsistent leak into overhead light.
Coated sunroof rubber seals with silicone grease.
Should improve the waterproofing. OK so far!
Worth a try.
Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny thing is, this only happened twice and not since.... then again, we haven't had alot of rain here in Fl the last several months....

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had the same problem,it only occured after having a new windscreen fitted.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I also had this problem a few times, always when leaving the car parked with the front slightly higher.
A few drops from the lights and a bit more from directly over my head where the sunroof finishing strip joins ends. After readjusting the sunroof (apparently my GF does a better job at that than I did :oops: ) it seems to have stopped. The drains were certainly not the problem, I ran a steel wire through them when fixing the roof mechanism.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
669 Posts
Re: water leak into cab - from overhead lights + tyresd

Glad I searched first rather than incur the wrath of the senior clan..... 97 40.se temps in east yorkshire uk have been -13 for 3 weeks + 2 feet of snow - car used infrequently and went out today at +.05C with water dripping from interior lights - youngest son cupped his hand as it was dripping (the water not his hand!) onto the gear lever (auto) and caught enough to fill an egg cup in 5 miles

Pulled down the light unit (no sunroof) and the whole as far as I can see of the underneath of the roof is literally dripping in condensation -------- I recently told 'er indoors' that I would use 1 of our air con units on dehumidifier mode to dry out moisture as she (car not wife!) gets wet inside but cautious not to dry out the leather --- spare wheel well has always in the 2 + years I've owned the car has been wet (NO leaks) to the extent I popped out 1 of the well 'bungs' to drain out the water + hopefully keep the area 'aerated'

I'm going to ask a Q re remould tyres separately

·
Banned
210 Posts

My truck just started doing this – interior water leak from front overhead interior dome light. It’s happened a couple of times in the past month or so, today being one of them. Are there any updates on this or has a particular culprit been found? I've also seen this thread: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/21855-roof-leak-not-sunroof.html, but much of the same. Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts

My truck just started doing this – interior water leak from front overhead interior dome light. It’s happened a couple of times in the past month or so, today being one of them. Are there any updates on this or has a particular culprit been found? I've also seen this thread: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/21855-roof-leak-not-sunroof.html, but much of the same. Thanks!
I had same problem and went through checking all sunroof drain and poking the all drains with flexible wire fish tape.
It was lot of trouble for nothing. Cut and wear in the sunroof seal was culprit. It is not leaking anymore after replacing the seal.

·
Registered
669 Posts

there's also a thread about a small manufacturing defect on the weld between normally hidden by the roof track finisher at the front

1 - 20 of 21 Posts