RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Range Rover HE 4.0 . I have seen alot of water in my spare tire compartment lately. I don't see any opening in the floor surface so I am wondering where it could be coming from? Is this a common problem?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Yup, there are pics of how to cut your rear seal so it will stay dry.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Search will give you directions, ideas and pics.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here You Go

Cheers

·
Registered
517 Posts
2 other sources of water in the wheel well are

Sunroof drain tube leaking.

Rear screen washer pipe or one way valve leaking.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Col
you are a gentleman and a scholar! :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi there!

Also check behind the C-collars - A friend of mine had almost 10 liters in the spare wheel compartment - it turnes it to be the drain pipes in the C-collars - the tubes had become ju a bit too short - I used a regular water hosein stead of the black rubber thing (don't know what you call it, sits in the wheel arch - you put the tube into it - it's sort of a oneway tube) anyway took that away and replaced it with a longer tube and then put to original drain pipe in that.

Result: no more water in the spare wheel compartment.

When you are finished - remember to flush all 4 drain pipes - there is always a lot of funny looking stuff coming out :shock:

Good luck :thumb:

Ferdiand -

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put this off for quite a while after buying my rover, because it seemed a little drastic, but after trying to fix my seal, and still having an occasional swimming pool in my spare tire well, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the well. This at leasts lets the water drain out, and keeps the mildew smell down.
Hopefully you can fix your seal and not need to go this route.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Synapticfire said:
I put this off for quite a while after buying my rover, because it seemed a little drastic, but after trying to fix my seal, and still having an occasional swimming pool in my spare tire well, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the well. This at leasts lets the water drain out, and keeps the mildew smell down.
Hopefully you can fix your seal and not need to go this route.
there are also a few rubber bungs that can be popped out to give you a hole to allow the water to draing away. Take your pick from them butb there is one that sits roughly in the middle of the well.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
I've had a problem with water in the spare tire well for some time. A few months back I ordered a used aperture gasket from Miami British. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make this a priority until this week, with all the rain we've had I vacuumed out about a gallon or so of water from the well.

Before replacing the gasket, I removed several pieces of trim and then placed a hose on top of the truck. With the water running, I could see a steady flow coming in on the inside of the gasket, between the lower tailgate and the D pillar. At first I adjusted the latch so that the lower gate will shut tighter... this did nothing. So, I swapped out the gaskets, applying a layer of silicone on the lip before sliding the gasket over and tamping in place.

I let it dry overnight and just water tested it. There seems to be a smaller trickle, making the turn onto the inside of the gasket just below the latch. I'm going to try adjusting the latch out a bit, to see if the decrease in pressure on the gasket will help. Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like I found where the water was making the turn at. Apparently, years of water has oxidized the bolt for the tail gate strap. This prevents the eye bolt from pivoting down when you close the gate, thus allowing the strap to rest against the gasket! I loosened it and shot it with some PB Blaster, hopefully this will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mine was absolutely fine after I splashed out nearly £150 on a new seal. This already came with the additional cutouts as detailed in the technical bulletin.
Once fitted with no additional work, I have no leak. I've also resealed the hole I made in the wheel well floor by knocking out one of the bungs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts