RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a lot of water in the spare tire well today. There are several threads about culprits. Before I start chasing down causes and buying new seals, the technical bulletin (Land rover Technical Bulletins. 0011 L840bu Issue 1 18/03/9) has a warranty claims code listed on the last page. I have a 1995 P38. Anyone tried to take their 17 year old vehicle in to the LR dealer for this warranty issue?

I will do it myself before I pay someone to do it, but I am only a week post hernia surgery so wrenching on one of the Landies is not really the best option for me right now. Although dealing with potentially clogged sun roof drain lines is probably what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Paul

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
48 Posts
I can't say for sure if they will honor a 17 year old bulletin or not, but I am interested to see what they say. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I havve the same problem with you Bluesman, water in the spare tire well. I have been trying to find out where this water is coming from without any luck so far but I will keep on trying.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My solution was to drill a 1/8 " hole in the lowest part to take care of it. I don't have any wet spots inside that I can see where water is coming in from, so never truly fixed the problem myself.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
I can't say for sure if they will honor a 17 year old bulletin or not, but I am interested to see what they say. Please let us know what you find out.
Who?

The service bulletin will take less time to complete yourself than to drive to the dealer or shop. It literally takes less than 10 minutes. 15 if you have to give the lip a second round of nudging.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I had the same issue and couldn't find the culprit after screwing around. Drilled a hole to let it out and left it alone. That was @6yrs ago.

Martin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RRToadHall, you are probably right. As the nearest LR dealer is an hour or more from me, I will do it myself anyway. I was just curious if anyone had tried. I assume you have done this fix. Did you reuse the seal after bending/straightening the lip? I seem to recall replacing this several years ago, and it still looks good. I also saw some people putting RTV or silicon in there as well. I prefer not to do that if the bend will work. Drainholes seem like a last resort. While I occassionally hose out the inside of the 110, probably not something I'll do to the RR.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I got fed up trying to resolve this issue, tried bending lip, new seal, dealer couldn't resolve.
So I ended up knocking the plug out in the bottom of the well, I figured it was probably there for that very purpose anyway!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought mine a few months ago. I found that there was a lot of debris from leaves/dirt etc. just above the rubber rear window gasket when you open it. Lift up the rear window and check around the seal as it will easily overflow if the water can't drain down around the sides of the weatherstripping. If it is not garaged, this happens quite easily.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
I've got the same issue.. on my 2001 Vogue.. you would have thought they would have fixed it in production by then!...

I haven't had the time (or a decent enough spell of dry weather) to do the lip bend yet - so on discovering that there was ~4 inches of water in the wheel well I also drilled a hole on one side, and punched out the drain plug on the other side (well, it was pretty rusted and kinda came out when I went to drill the hole in it).

I've found that the inside of the RR definitely doesn't feel as damp now, as the water drains out nicely..

Cheers,
Marty

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
It's not so much a production issue as it is a wear issue. THe seal wears and the lip nudges forwards with use. THese two combined result in a poor seal after a few years. THis is especially bad with poor ly aligned latches as folks have a nasty habit of slamming their tail gates and hatches. I have yet to work on one that the lip bend and a nudge on the latch adjustments did not resolve the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The way the weather is in Brisbane at the moment I feel like I'm driving the Titanic, the water is coming in faster that I can bail it out, I am thinking of using those rubber drain things that let the water out but keep the dust outside also

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
My solution was to drill a 1/8 " hole in the lowest part to take care of it. I don't have any wet spots inside that I can see where water is coming in from, so never truly fixed the problem myself.
One of the previous owners did that to mine as well. Seems to work okay, though my wheel well is pretty dirty.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
The way the weather is in Brisbane at the moment I feel like I'm driving the Titanic, the water is coming in faster that I can bail it out, I am thinking of using those rubber drain things that let the water out but keep the dust outside also
I think you need to be checking out the rear sunroof drains... if they get clogged then they overflow and run down into the spare wheel well too.. I generally cut the tip off the NRV, as over time the silt forms a muck which blocks it. snipping a bit off the end just means that any accumulation of crud is more likely to get washed through it, rather than being caught up in it.

I did a load of sunroof work to my second P38, and actually replaced the NRV's with a piece of radiator pipe (or something along those lines) big enough to not slip through the hole in the chassis, and a bit longer than the standard NRV too, so the drain tube had less chance of coming out inside the vehicle.

Cheers,
Marty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts