RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found that my spare tire well is collecting water! No obvious holes in the bottom or sides, and the weather striping looks good all the way around the back. The water is clean, so I suspect rain not road. Ideas on where to find the source? It seems that car washes contribute, but that has not helped me in trying to locate the mouth of the river. Thoughts would be appreciated.

I actually found the water after reading John's thoughts on storage space. I also assume that Chris WILL NOT have this problem, after looking over his site (I do think I would rather have water in the back than sand in the filter housing!)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
217 Posts
Water in the back or sand in the filter ???

We don't get a lot of rain out here, and hopefully when I get this snorkel built it will solve the sand in the filter box problem - that is actually what I would consider a serious design fault as the air intake is inbetween the inner and outer wing, right over the wheel arch, so as your wheels slip and spin the force whatever it is they are spinning up into the wheel well and into the air box !!

As for rain, when it does come it tends to come on very fast and furios, and if your stuck in a Wadi at the time - http://www.me4x4.info/showphoto.asp?ID=1947

There is no escape !!!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
155 Posts
lower tailgate seal

99% sure it will be the lower tail gate seal. Fixing this should cure your problem. If not then it's going to be your rear window seals, but it is rare for these to go.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
probable fix

have dealer replace the window seal.

worked to fix my leak into the spare tire storage/hot tub.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that was the problem. A lower section of the right hand side of the window was loose, and as the water channels down from the top of the truck it was diverted into the well. It was some comfort to know somebody else had the same problem! Rusted my jack even. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Couldn't find an answer to my issue but this came close.

I've been having a problem with the spare wheel well filling with water. The car is parked on a slope and if I park it with the boot at the lowest point I get a worse ingress of water.

I originally thought it was a leak in the tailgate seal but this appears to be fine. However, I've discovered the driver side (UK RHD) rear side window gets condensation and the rear seat belt gets soaked inside the trim.

I've discovered the metal/plastic exterior side window surround is lose but I don't know if it acts as a seal or if it's just cosmetic. :think:

I guess it could be a blocked and damaged sun roof drain OR a damaged seal on the side window. It would appear the leak is quite high up, possibly as high as the top of the side widow but I havn't had chance to strip it all back and investigate as it's been p1ssing with rain here this summer.

Anyone any experience with this?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi
L/R did issue a TSB on this problem involves bending the flange the tailgate seal fits on and cutting a couple of notches in the seal its self at the bottom, don't know if this will cure you problem but just a possibility.

If I can find the TSB will post a copy might be of some use.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Thanks Col - That's the best copy of that TSB I've seen.

However, it's the side window (or area) which is the problem, not the rear window. I wanted to replace this TSB'd seal anyway at a later date :thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rich998a said:
I originally thought it was a leak in the tailgate seal but this appears to be fine. However, I've discovered the driver side (UK RHD) rear side window gets condensation and the rear seat belt gets soaked inside the trim.
I had a similar issue and it was the sunroof drains. The drivers side drain (LHD) had come out of the drain tube end. Check right behind the rear seatbelt reel, that is where I found the disconnect in the tubing. If the tubing was disconnected higher up in the pillar it would manage to get the seatbelt as it rand down the pillar and toward the spare tire well.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Thanks for that - I'll pull everything apart this weekend and see. It looks like it's more likely to be the sunroof drain tube than a window seal.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wierd seeing my own post coming back after 4 years.

The slot works about 90%, the flow of water slowed greatly, but some still seeped in. I solved it for good by knocking out the lowest drain cover. Been 100% dry ever since.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Ok - I found some time today to rip out the trim around the rear seatbelt/parcel shelf area to expose the drain and the tube.

I removed the pipe and although the end didn't fit tightly around the inside of the rubber drain, there was no reason for it to leak.

I decided to test the drains. I had the car on a slope, front down, tail high. Both the front drains worked fine.

I reversed the car around so the water would run backwards. Put in about half a litre of water in the sunroof trough and:

I did try to see if the pipe was damaged up near the top but it looked fine. So I'm thinking the leak is at the sunroof. :cry:

Anyone had to access this area before?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Been to visit my indy today. The problem is that the drain and pipe at the sunroof are held with plastic and sealent so I guess over time and with heat and vibration the thing comes away.

The fix is to remove headlining to gain access. That's a good half day labour and no guarantee the headlining will go back into position again. The suggestion was to fit a new sunroof seal to limit the amount of water getting in the drain to start with.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Dropping the headliner takes about 30 mintues... 45 if you run into a seatbelt nut that is buggered. You could easily undertake this repair yourself over an afternoon. This would be a great chance clean up your A,B,C & D pillars as well as the various other bits. Then ask someone to lend a hand reinstalling. There is NO reason why the headliner would not go in exactly as it came out if you are careful. I have tried a couple of different ways. I found installing the grab handles first is a great way to hold it in place and ensure alignment while you reinstall the pillars and gaskets.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Dropping the headliner takes about 30 mintues... 45 if you run into a seatbelt nut that is buggered. You could easily undertake this repair yourself over an afternoon. This would be a great chance clean up your A,B,C & D pillars as well as the various other bits. Then ask someone to lend a hand reinstalling. There is NO reason why the headliner would not go in exactly as it came out if you are careful. I have tried a couple of different ways. I found installing the grab handles first is a great way to hold it in place and ensure alignment while you reinstall the pillars and gaskets.
Ah - thanks Carl. That's the sort of answer I'm after.

I think my indy has dealings with loads of Classics with the infamous headliner droop. Looking at the p38a - it appears to be a more solid unit.

Maybe I'll crack on with this sooner rather than later. Thanks Carl :thumb:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Iceberg said:
Wierd seeing my own post coming back after 4 years.

The slot works about 90%, the flow of water slowed greatly, but some still seeped in. I solved it for good by knocking out the lowest drain cover. Been 100% dry ever since.
This was my cheap ass fix as well. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
So I think I'd better have a go at repairing the sunroof drains but I've got a few questions first.

1. I've been through RAVE which prefers you to remove the A,B,D & E post trims. Is this necessary?

2. At any part of the removal/replacement is it necessary for another person to help out?

3. Is there any preventitive maintenance to undertake while the headlining is off?

4. RAVE doesn't mention it but does the join at the sunroof/tube need silicon sealant as well as the clip?

I think I'll try and replace the rear drain pipes so I'll order in those as well as the 2 clips to attach them to the sunroof. I'll replace the clips on the front pair as well.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Just wanted to update things again.

Since the sunroof drain fix, probably 50 - 70% of the problem of the wheel well filling has been cured. However, I was still getting water ingress. I did know that the tailgate seal was old and didn't fit snugg, especially around the area adjacent to where the parcel shelf tray supports meet the seal.

I got a new one from Rimmer Brothers and although identical, the fresh rubber made a nice seal around all areas.

FYI, the TSB on cutting the bubble seal on the bottom end of the seal - I think most, if not all, vehicles must have an updated seal which already includes this cut during manufacture. My 1995 model already had the cuts - However I doubt the seal is the original 1994 manufactured one.

Anyway, lets see how we do now. :pray:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Slight resurrection here...

Ive been getting water in the spare tire well, and i finally tore out a bunch of the interior trims and put a running hose on the roof to watch for leaks. It seems that the original aperture seal has failed on both sides where the lower seal on the upper tailgate starts. It doesnt seem like great engineering to start off with. Wheres a good place to pick up a new seal?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts