RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another coolant leak. This is coming from under the top of the engine, under the circled area. When the truck is shut off, coolant continues to spew.

I understand coolant is something that does not freeze in winter temperatures, but I want to put water in my coolant tank in the meantime (before it gets cold out). I’d use water to fill roughly three quarters of the coolant tank.

Would this be alright? Would it damage anything?

Thanks!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,195 Posts
Re: Water in Coolant Tank Okay During Above Freezing Weather?

There's no picture attached, so can't see the 'circled area' you relate to :(

If you top off the coolant tank with water, then it should be fine, as it will mix with the coolant and shouldn't freeze. However, if you keep doing this all the time you're losing coolant, then over time your coolant - water mix is going to start diluting more and more towards water being the higher percentage. If you get too much water in the system, and not enough coolant, then yes - it could freeze... and your rangie will hate you for it for the rest of it's (and maybe your) life :)

The best thing is to fix the leak and then not have to worry... I have a bottle of pre-mixed coolant/water in my loadspace that I use for topping the system up, so I know I'm always topping up with the right mixture.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your super prompt reply!

Sorry about that! Please see attached.

Hypothetically, if it's mid-summer, is there any problem having the coolant tank filled entirely with water?

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,195 Posts

Throttle body heater plate...

Have a search on somewhere like Atlantic British, as they do a replacement plate/gasket for a reasonable price (from what I've seen on other threads).

Alternatively - a lot of people bypass them by just looping a piece of copper tube or something between the 2 hoses.

Coolant tank full of water *should* be ok - as it's only a fraction of the liquid in the cooling system, and as I mentioned above, it will mix in with the rest of the coolant in the system, as the water pump circulates coolant etc.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank, Marty!

Solid, sound advice.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The leak seems to have gotten worse and is now coming from somewhere within the yellow circle. The picture is of the right (driver's) side rear of the engine.

Is this due to the engine head gasket?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,195 Posts
Its probably likely to be a head gasket weep, especially if its towards the rear cylinders.

Right hand side of engine doesn't have anything else coolant related back there :(

I'm sure someone with more experience on these engines than me will probably be able to tell you with more certainty though!

Marty

Sent from my S4

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Don't think that's from the head/block, looks like you can see a drip on the rocker gasket, which means its come from above and is hand-railing around and down, probably still from your throttle body heater (but could be inlet manifold gasket, if it went in a very specific place), had similar on the other side but that was from a split (lpg connection) in the heater hose that parallels over the rocker cover.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks, Larry. Wish I could video it, but the drip is occuring / coming out of the seal between the two peices of metal of the engine that are sandwiched together within the yellow circle, not from above. I take that to mean that the manifold gasket is leaking then? If so, even more of a significant repair than the head gasket?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,195 Posts
That seal is the rocker cover gasket.. The head gasket is sandwiched in between the heads/block and is a bit lower down that than...

I didn't think there were any coolant ways in the intake manifold gasket? Valley gasket area, maybe - but that's inside the Vee.

It could just be the throttle body heater leak, with the coolant being blown back by underbonnet airflow..

If it is seeping from below the rocker cover gasket, then still possibly the head gasket - but without closer pictures, we probably can't tell for certain..

Sort the throttle body leak and then see if there is still coolant appearing lower down.

Also, keep an extra special eye on the temp gauge too..

Marty

Sent from my S4

·
Banned
210 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know the above was fixed by bypassing the "throttle body heater plate" (located by the red arrow), as shown in the pictures below, a suggested(!); local service station charged $20 for same. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts

I just did the fix for the throttle body heater, and it was only about $26 for the kit from a vendor on eBay. Quick and easy to do, and worth it IMHO. Don't want to end up having to tell here a cautionary story about the time that throttle body seized while wide open throttle :doh:

·
Registered
253 Posts

Hi dbs

I will - strongly - not recommend topping up the coolant tank with water. The water / coolant mixture is supposed to be 50/50 to keep the best freeze protection. an 40/60 mixture decreases the freeze resistant rapidly, only 1 liter of water will give you an 40/60 mixture.
Always keep premixed coolant ready for topping up - the mixture is critical, an you do have cold weather in NY from time to time.

I will also attatch the link on how to fix the throttle body heater leak permanently, and still have good heating on the throttle valve... See link:http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/47685-throttle-heater-leak-permanent-fix-4-6-hse.html

Best regards Brage

·
Registered
690 Posts

The antifreeze has corrosion inhibitor in it which is Pretty Important. That said, if your engine has blue antifreeze in it instead of the pink stuff, put a few changes of clean water through before you drain it as best you can and put the pink stuff in. If you mix them, they react and turn into nasty goo that you can't quite get rid of.

Depending on what part of the world you're in, I wouldn't worry about it freezing for a while.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just did the fix for the throttle body heater, and it was only about $26 for the kit from a vendor on eBay. Quick and easy to do, and worth it IMHO. Don't want to end up having to tell here a cautionary story about the time that throttle body seized while wide open throttle :doh:
Hi dbs

I will - strongly - not recommend topping up the coolant tank with water. The water / coolant mixture is supposed to be 50/50 to keep the best freeze protection. an 40/60 mixture decreases the freeze resistant rapidly, only 1 liter of water will give you an 40/60 mixture.
Always keep premixed coolant ready for topping up - the mixture is critical, an you do have cold weather in NY from time to time.

I will also attatch the link on how to fix the throttle body heater leak permanently, and still have good heating on the throttle valve... See link:http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/47685-throttle-heater-leak-permanent-fix-4-6-hse.html

Best regards Brage
Thanks, Gentlemen! Good stuff!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts