RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents -

I have a 1995 RRC

Been fighting with water intrusion for a LONG time. Right now, its dripping badly on the driver side only in the midst of a heavy rain storm (10hrs of rain or more) and i cannot seem to recreate with a hose, I know its silly and not likely, but I just cannot make it leak...

The drip initiates from up to the top right behind and north of the gas pedal, there is a piece of that sound deadener in there, and i can squeeze it and it drips water all over the floor. Also - i have all the carpets and sound deadener removed from the floors because I am deep into metal repair. I can get my arm up there, and I can grab the window wiper motor, and its wet, but then again everything is wet.

I have put a bead of silicone where the lower finisher meets the windshield, so i am pretty confident water is not entering there. I have removed the cowl multiple times, and I have used silicone on the window motor access panel, i have tried covering the whole area with flex seal, roof tar, paint, everything. No change leading me to believe its not getting in through the cowl. I can see a drip out of the sunroof drain tube... so water is getting through there as well.

the next step is removing the dash... i feel like that is going to be the only way to really know. Looking at Rave it looks like I have to pull the steering wheel / airbags everything to get back there.

Anyone with a 95 Have this leak and have any tips for me? Or has anyone pulled part of the dash without having to remove everything? (i have the knee bolster out and foam, center console is out)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does it get more/less water in when driven versus sitting parked? If your firewall has started to rust where it meets the back of the front wheel well it can leak through there, but that would probably only happen when driving and the water is sprayed up there. Not sure how common it is for the hood hinge pockets to leak, but assuming you'd have had a good view of those with the cowl off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmmmm

thanks for responding. I have been RACKING my brain on this one.

based on where this leak seems to originate.... from behind/north of the gas pedal - almost behind the radio... i have to rule out door seals.

This weekend im going to check the sunroof/roof. That could be a culprit.... but being that its leaking from the center of the car and not near the pillars... i am not so sure, unless the water is running along the underside of the cowl and dripping in the middle....

I have pulled that cowling 5 times.... most recently i coated the area where the wiper motor panel is with roof tar. I was CONVINCED the wiper motor access panel was the culprit, but it just cant be.... there is too much silicone / tar there for this much water to get by......

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it get more/less water in when driven versus sitting parked? If your firewall has started to rust where it meets the back of the front wheel well it can leak through there, but that would probably only happen when driving and the water is sprayed up there. Not sure how common it is for the hood hinge pockets to leak, but assuming you'd have had a good view of those with the cowl off.
it only leaks when parked to my knowledge. Hood hinge pockets are ok. On passenger side, i actually drilled a relief hole to drain there into the engine bay. I did not drill one on the driver side... but that area is part of the area that was coated with silicon/tar...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 95 had a similar leak, turned out to be an improperly installed windshield.
:shock:

Oh man. finishers? Or the glass itself? I had mine replaced ehhh.... a few yrs ago. (unsure if this leak has been there since.)

We used an AB heated windscreen and D1 finishers / slightly modified to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
:shock:

Oh man. finishers? Or the glass itself? I had mine replaced ehhh.... a few yrs ago. (unsure if this leak has been there since.)

We used an AB heated windscreen and D1 finishers / slightly modified to fit.
I'm in the same situation, new heated Pilkington from AB two years ago. Very small leak if left out in the rain. Mine seems to be from the upper finisher, just to the right of mirror. It only happens when it's rained for a long time, and it seems to be only a drip, so I haven't really worried about it, but perhaps I should...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts