Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Getting Inside "New" Rang Rover - Damaging Components

I will try to keep this short but include as much detail as possible... 2006 Range Rover HSE - ~78k miles - new to me, bought a week ago.

Washed the truck on Sunday - Monday the stereo didn't work. Water leaked into the truck and got onto the Bluetooth module. I thought it was coming from the window or something. I bypassed the module to get the stereo working.

Today (go figure) it down poured ALL day and exactly what I thought would happen - before I could find the source of the leak it leaked but this time it leaked a LOT. Satellite radio unit is damaged beyond repair it seems now. I was outside working in the truck putting plastic around all the rear electrical components. I reached up and touched the headliner - IT IS SOAKING WET!! I thought maybe its the Sunroof drains but they appear to be draining.

I started feeling the headliner - its soaking with in the rear but gets dryer the closer to the front of the vehicle you get. Only the back half is wet.

What do you guys think this could be? Is the seal on the tailgate needing replaced perhaps?

I have searched the forums - I know others have had similar issues but they are usually reporting water down on the floor. I have water getting down there but it appears the leak is originating on the roof or the tailgate somewhere. My best guess is the tailgate based on the amount of water that's on the roof of the truck.

Can someone PLEASE help me identify the source of the water? And, is there anyway to fix the now sagging headliner? I am almost at a loss for words... brand new to me truck and already two expensive electronic components are ruined and the headliner is shot... I don't even know where to begin...

· Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
204 Posts
Re: Urgent Help Requested - Water Getting Inside "New" Rang Rover - Damaging Componen

Personally (assuming it was bought from a Dealer) I'd take it straight back and demand a full refund as the vehicle has been sold 'not fit for purpose'

· Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,198 Posts
Re: Urgent Help Requested - Water Getting Inside "New" Rang Rover - Damaging Componen

take a peek at the sunroof is it laying flat?
If the rear edge is lower or higher than the roof then it may need a reset,
this is due to the battery being disconnected and has to be dome every time the battery has been disconnected

To Reset the roof press the roof button in the center and hold it this with the key in position 2.
keep holding the switch in the center till you hear the roof click. (about 20 to 30 seconds)
once this happens then release the button,
then push the rear of the switch forward to close the roof ,
and let go of the switch.

Otherwise you could flip the roof rail rack attach points,
and look for openings as maybe there was a roof rack and it has been removed and thus the holes are still open

· Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,135 Posts

If the sunroof is laying flat, it could be the sunroof drains being plugged with dirt (you can find this on the forum).

· Premium Member
2,471 Posts

See attached.

If your vehicle does not have a plastic sheet behind the audio components, you need to install that as well.

--It won't allow me to attach the leak check pdf as it's too big, I'll see if i can break it down into a few files.

Attachments

· Banned
902 Posts

I'd check and clear all the drain plugs. Then buy some new electronic water proofing sealant and seal everything (including electrics in trunk). Its good to have Dave & the Overland 4x4 guys posting here -- they worked on my old lifted 4.6 in DC they do great work and know what they're talking about.

· Premium Member
2,471 Posts

Ok, even it as single page pdfs are too big per page.

First three pages are attached as jpeg, I'll see what I can do about the rest.

Attachments

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This was purchased at a dealer, although not a Land Rover dealer. I took it back to the dealer to see what they could do - it was purchased used and with no warranty but they said that their mechanic could probably look at it.

They asked me to take it to Land Rover to ask them what they thought was wrong. I didn't have Land Rover do an inspection but right away the service guy said, "We see at least 2-3 in here each month with the same problem... typically we strip the interior and put a hose on the roof to see where the leak is and fix it." I asked about the cost and he said at least two hours for diag at $120 per hour. He said it might be the sunroof or the tailgate - both are things I've seen online.

I would rather have the dealer I bought the truck at look at it - although they are not as qualified I can't afford to pay the Land Rover dealership to fix the problem - it could easily be $500.

Personally (assuming it was bought from a Dealer) I'd take it straight back and demand a full refund as the vehicle has been sold 'not fit for purpose'

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The sunroof appears to be lying flat. However, I did unplug the battery multiple times over the weekend when working on the electronics. So, I have done as you said and performed a reset - twice actually, just to be safe.

I could try putting the hose on the roof near the sunroof and seeing if I can see any water coming in. The problem is with the headliner attached its nearly impossible to tell where the water is coming from.

I lifted up the cover over the bolts for the roof rack. I could be wrong but it doesn't appear its ever had a roof rack installed - not so surprising living in Florida, no one skis and bikes are too tall for the roof. I say I don't think one's ever been installed because the screws have paint built up on them (sort of pooled on the screws) and it doesn't appear they've ever been removed.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the info... I haven't purchased the official water shedder (part number: EOT500030) because the local dealership didn't have one in stock. However, last night after the strong rains and becoming infuriated with the fact that yet another component had suffered irreparable water damage I did the best I could and installed my own "water shedder" using black plastic material. It isn't the official Land Rover part but it's at least surrounding all the equipment until I can get this figured out.

See attached.

If your vehicle does not have a plastic sheet behind the audio components, you need to install that as well.

--It won't allow me to attach the leak check pdf as it's too big, I'll see if i can break it down into a few files.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for this VERY helpful information. It is greatly appreciated. I believe the water is coming from somewhere on the roof - either sunroof related or tailgate related. I am going to crimp the seal with pliers as recommended and see if that helps. Otherwise, the seal looks to be in good shape.

Ok, had to lower the quality, but it's still readable.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I noticed today that the FM/Satellite radio antenna is a bit loose on the roof. It's certainly not moving all around but there is a small gap between the roof and the antenna. Is it possible water is getting in through that small gap? Would it be a good idea for me to try and apply sealant around the gap? I don't see how that much water would get in through the gap but I suppose it's possible and at this point its all I can think of.

Does anyone know the best way to check and clean the rear sunroof drains? Is it possible to do without removing the headliner? I don't feel comfortable removing that much of the interior and doing it myself but a sunroof drain clog or an unplugged drain tube is my only other best guess at this point.

· Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
527 Posts

I had the hose that connects to the S/R drain come loose and soaked my headliner. Shop had to lower part of the headliner by pass side rear door and reconnect the hose.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Where did you notice the water on the headliner? Was the water mainly on the back half of the headliner? By chance (and if you don't mind sharing) do you know what they charged you?

I had the hose that connects to the S/R drain come loose and soaked my headliner. Shop had to lower part of the headliner by pass side rear door and reconnect the hose.

· Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
322 Posts

We don't typically have this option in the States...most out-of-warranty used vehicles sold at dealers are sold as-is, where-is...meaning if it catches on fire or falls apart, even 5 minutes after purchasing, it's too bad for you...buyer beware!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I found what I believe to be the cause of the problem - not a leak from the outside at all but rather a problem with the rear window washer fluid. It appears to not be connected or something and leaking in the headliner. I noticed this because a few days ago when I tried to use the rear wiper fluid nothing happened. I started thinking and wondering if maybe that was causing the "water" in the headliner. After doing some closer looking I noticed that the staining on the headliner which I thought was from a leak was actually a light shade of blue. So, I am assuming the tube is disconnected or leaking and causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does anyone know how to get to the plastic tube under the headliner or does anyone have the schematic for the rear window wiper fluid hoses?

· Premium Member
2,471 Posts

Pop the upper tailgate, interior upper trim off, it just pulls off, but the clips do break easily. That is where it connects to the wiper motor, and only place I have seen it come off.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I spoke too soon... there is still water coming into the vehicle. I live in Florida and we are in the midst of a tropical storm right now - it's been raining for several days straight. The rear portion of the headliner is SOAKING wet. And I can't figure out where this water is coming from. Does anyone have any suggestions? Tailgate? Roof? Side windows? I am getting extremely frustrated with not being able to find the source of all this water and little by little it just keeps ruining electronics and the interior of the car. Any help would be very much appreciated.

· Banned
902 Posts

I'd clear the drain plugs and then press the sunroof tilt button until you hear it click ~45 seconds. Open then close the sunroof. Mine wasn't laying flat and that reset fixed it. I'm in the middle of the same water proofing and it seems to be holding (knock on wood).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.