RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone knows the part number for that black cap or blind plug located in the back of the water cooled alternator housing? This is on the m62tu 4.4 lower timing cover. I searched on parts websites and can鈥檛 seem to find it anywhere, not even in diagrams. Took the freshly built rover on on the highway to break it in to sit the rings and there went the alternator housing cap, with all the coolant wasted. I pulled over and towed it home. If you were driving behind while this happened, sorry you had to go wash your car hehe

Attachments

Premium Member
So I'm guessing yours is now lost? I can't find any part number, source, literally anything on this part at all, but I may be able to source one for you if you'd like from one of my parts trucks.

Registered
Thanks for pointing this out as it is another potential leak point. Sorry that you had to have that happen. If I had done any where near what you just did to your engine I likely would have had heart failure. Makes me wonder if the clip popped out or the plastic failed causing it to blow off. Another 0-ring to apply the dow corning silicone grease to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Haha Diff and Keralis thank you both for the wise words and encouragements! Oh I neary had it when it happened. Yes my plug flew off somehow and is now lost. Please Keralis if you can spare that part I will glady appreciate it. I need to make a 3rd trip to the dealership for another bottle bmw coolant. Parts鈥 guy there is going to think I am drinking the coolant since I went there for coolant twice already.

Registered
Rovah - Try a wrecker. But all is not lost. Engine #2 came to me with a solution that held up until Engine #4 came with the part. The shop that did the work took coolant hose of the correct size and cut down a bolt of the correct size and used two hose clamps to prevent leaks. If you go this route just make the assembly as short as possible, but long enough to make sure you have a good seal on the bolt/hose portion. To be honest I didn't know better until Engine #4 came with the right part and I figured out why the part was make shift in appearance. Engine #2 went 50-60k and #3 about 10k with this set up.

As to the coolant try Napa or Advanced and look for Pentosin of the right color and specs.

Registered
Wow, I had no idea that plug was back there. There seems to be an infinite number of places for these BMW engines to bite with more leaks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Kg74 Not sure about mixing Pentosin with the blue bmw coolant already in there. I don鈥檛 want to screw up.
Ghur Thanks. Looks like it is interchangeable with the coolant expansion tank plug/cap.
It sucks there is no LR junkyard in my state otherwise I would have been there pulling all spare stuff.

Premium Member
As for coolant Zerex G05 is a fully compatible with the BMW coolant.

For wreckers yards, the smaller guys usually have Range Rovers.. I鈥檝e found a few places near me occasionally do and sometimes even LKQ, though rarely. The thing is the smaller yards are expensive as all hell..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Keralis is the real mvp. He was kind enough to ship me not 1 but 2 of his spare caps overnight. All is well as far as this issue is concerned. Thanks to all who chimed in!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts