RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Land rover and Just got a 2011 RR Sport Supercharged with only 50KM but I am still worried about it breaking down and I
was told I should lower it every night and this would help the suspension components last longer.
Does anyone know the correct way to leave this vehicle for extended periods of time?

TIA

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Just the opposite. Leave your EAS alone and let it do the work. Unless you have some physical issue that you need to lower for easier access or departure just leave it alone. Every time you dump the air out of the bags to lower it the compressor then has to work to replace that expelled air at some point. An occasional choice of access mode for loading or entering a low ceiling parking garage is one thing, but not every night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a 2013 rrs SC, had it for about 2 months now. The dealer told a way me to avoid problems was to make sure and run the air suspension occasionally. He didn't say anything about leaving it in extended/access mode though. I've been just raising or lowering it once a week, and then putting it back into standard mode...figure it couldn't hurt. His reasoning was, if unused, the bags/suspension can become brittle and stated that's how pinholes can occur. Just my 2 cents. Anyone hear anything different?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Running on bags for 15 years now, and the most common location for a bag to leak is at the return fold (bottom crease) as the bag heads back to the strut. You should use this system from time to time (like the parking brake system) to keep it functioning, however the majority of the time you're in normal/middle driving position and these bags are just going to spend most of their life there. Now changing the actual ride height from time to time (with GAP-tool or other) will alter the position of the bags and actually keep it there - which can prolong the bag's wear to some extent. However most people don't use the rover for what it was intended for - going four-wheelin every other week/month then cruising around town for some coffee the remainder of the time.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Anyone hear anything different?
Totally incorrect. Bags develop cracks a wear leaks at the point they flex the most. For 90% of owners that in in between highway height and standard mode. Rovercharged is dead on.

Nobody drives around in wading mode so naturally using wading mode as proof you have no leaks doesn't work. There is no wear at the bags at that height and all the cracks are sealed when raised.

·
Registered
593 Posts
With the engine running the suspension system and alive and constantly adjusting so is being used. Yes cracks can develop in the bags but the component with most failures is in the compressor and the desiccant breaking down to power and causing other issues. The more the compressor is used the more water vapour that is absorbed by the desiccant and the sooner it breaks down.

Leave the height at onroad height for normal use - no need to change it once per week - in use the system will be constantly levelling the car so being used - combine this with the occasional drop to access to let older people in and out or the occasional rise to get over curbs and all should be good.

Garry

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok, here's another little twist to consider:

How about using a non-deteriorating rubber protectant on the bags? I'm on my 4th Range Rover (also on 2d LR2 and had an LR3). On all my prior Rovers, the airbag systems or airbags failed at some point. So on my current 2008 RR, I spray the entire rubber bags at least once a year with a protectant, one that is suppose to be safe for rubber and not deteriorate it.

My 2008 RR bags all fine so far, 94k miles (of course, I could walk outside tomorrow and find her leaning in one corner!!!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
interesting approach, what are you using?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have used 303 spray in the past, and I believe I once used something from "PB Blast", a can that said use to keep rubber pliable. I usually do it before winter, but I think it's about time for another spraying!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was wondering if there was PM or a type of conditioner for those things...another weird question...Any reason the vehicle/EAS would raise itself under normal driving conditions? Only owned the 13 rrs SC for a few months, and once I swear I parked, turned off the truck, went to the trunk and the vehicle was lowering itself? I went back, checked and it was in normal ride height?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yes, these trucks do adjust themselves after exiting and locking. Typically they do very minor adjustments not access height to normal or normal to access. My 06 will do this often while driving as well as at stop lights. Sometimes very noticeable adjustments.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Actually you won a Rover so many question our sanity. Typically these skeptics have never been under the hypnotic influence of owning a Rover.
:)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I had my 2011 Sport for around 6 years and I raised the truck 95% of the time. I have back problems so I drive an SUV because it is higher and easier to get in and out of. If I getting into a lower vehicle was actually good for my back, which it is not, then I could have chosen to buy a car.

The only time that I ever had a suspension issue was when I got a flat tire at 70mph and the suspension lowered and error codes.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Totally incorrect. Bags develop cracks a wear leaks at the point they flex the most. For 90% of owners that in in between highway height and standard mode. Rovercharged is dead on.

Nobody drives around in wading mode so naturally using wading mode as proof you have no leaks doesn't work. There is no wear at the bags at that height and all the cracks are sealed when raised.
I actually do only because in the new model the suspension drops to standard height above 40mph (or 45) as opposed to the L320 model which is 25mph. My first 20miles of my commute home has a speed limit of less than 45 and in the summer at the beach the whole island is 25mph.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I was wondering if there was PM or a type of conditioner for those things...another weird question...Any reason the vehicle/EAS would raise itself under normal driving conditions? Only owned the 13 rrs SC for a few months, and once I swear I parked, turned off the truck, went to the trunk and the vehicle was lowering itself? I went back, checked and it was in normal ride height?
I tend to hear the pump or controller or something after I park a couple of times a week. I park in off-road height most of the time but I do see the truck adjusting from time to time while standing outside of it after I shut it off. I probably see it every morning (in the dark) just before putting the truck in gear. I am sure my neighbor noices also since my head lights (on my new one) wave back a forth. Kind of cool also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts