Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2016 HSE last July with about 18k miles on the clock. I'm at about 22k miles now and got a dash indicator that service was required. It wasn't specific, and since the car is fairly new to us I figured I'd just setup an appointment at the dealer. Over the phone they said it probably just needed an oil change and that would cost $250. Once I arrived, they came out and quoted me $987 for "annual service" and listed the following things:

• Oil Change
  • Tire rotation
  • Brake fluid flush
  • Fuel injector system cleaning
  • Cabin air filters
  • Engine air filter

I'd expected the oil change, but the brake fluid flush caught me off guard. I clarified with the service rep and he said that the recommendation is to flush the system yearly. I've since done some reading and haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else - and never previously owned a car with that brake fluid replacement interval. My Porsche 911 was supposed to have the fluid flushed annually to participate in track days, but that's a totally different animal.

I opted to just get the oil changed and do a little research on the rest. They also were reluctant to give me an itemized quote. The best they did was told me it was $250 for the oil and $260 for the cabin air filters - no pricing on the other items.

Any advice or links to a definitive service/fluid/maintenance schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Charlie

·
Registered
182 Posts
it’s 1 yr or based on miles. The oil change/oil filter and fuel filter if you have a diesel, those two are the most important. Engine air filter and cabin air filters are very easy to swap yourself. you can also do the tire rotation (but that doesn’t cost much if you want the dealer to do it).

The brake fluid bleeding sounds a bit much (do that at next brake service) as does the injection cleaning so maybe someone else can comment on that.

what I have learned over the years and have confirmed with LRNA, the dealer is who determines if warranty is honored. The warranty is based on service records. if you don’t maintain up to the standards the dealer can claim void of warranty (unless you find another dealer that has your back). So it‘s partly paying a premium to keep your factory warranty… if you do not have a warranty, then just change your oil/filters regularly and you should be good.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
956 Posts
For a 5 year old truck (I have the 16 also in diesel) why take it to the dealer? All of this can be completed by your reputable local Indy shop. $75 for synthetic oil change (I provided the Mann filters. Tire rotation and balancing free at Discount Tire. Change the filters yourself (as mentioned). Can’t imagine you need injector cleaning at 22k miles. Brake futile flush is one of the looong maintenance items unless your very nit picky about your vehicle. When you need your indy shop to do a brake job, you can have them do it then.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
423 Posts
Fuel injector cleaning is sometimes needed but more commonly seems to be one of those recommendations that just sweetens dealer profit margin. If you aren't noticing any hesitation or other signs you're probably okay but there are multiple injector cleaners for both diesel and gas that you simply add to the fuel tank. I have a 2016 diesel and have been using Lucas Oil - Injector Cleaner and Top End Lubricant with great results. Only need 1oz for every 3 gallons so I carry 4oz squirt bottles and refuel when the tank is half empty. That way I'm continuously cleaning the injectors and lubricating the injector pump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I should have specified, it isn't a Diesel - it's the HSE with the supercharged v6. I'll either start using an indy shop, or just do it myself. I wanted to take it to the dealer the first time because the "service required" message was so vague - figured they would be able to specify what it actually meant.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks all. I should have specified, it isn't a Diesel - it's the HSE with the supercharged v6. I'll either start using an indy shop, or just do it myself. I wanted to take it to the dealer the first time because the "service required" message was so vague - figured they would be able to specify what it actually meant.
I do their Annual Service once a year just to keep the Warranty Company and CarFax happy so as to stay in Warranty at the purchasing dealership.... It was the same price as yours and figure it's worth it. I had an engine blow up (previous owner let her go too long and too low on oil between changes) and cost $33,000 to the warranty company. When that warranty is up I will do the annual service myself (skipping the brake fluid purge/refill as it's unnecessary unless contaminates/debris or air gets into system). I already change the oil another 2 times during the (every 5K miles) year myself using Castrol Pro 0w-20 brand and weight Oil/Filter from the Dealership for about $200 per change. So, "if" you have a warranty then let them do the Annual service until the warranty is expired is my advice. The so called warranty company was looking for any excuse at all as to trying to slink out of paying for the new engine. Failure to do a yearly maintained recommended by the dealer is one of their reasons to void a warranty... So I would check on those little guidelines "if" you still have a warranty Charlieaf92.

Oil and filter swap is super easy with a 10 quart sump pump and the proper aluminum oil filter wrench... It takes longer for me to get set-up and level the vehicle than it does to perform the actual oil/filter change. Cleanest oil change job I've ever known and performed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts