RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my frustration, I dropped my car in for its first service this morning and wanted them to look at a squeak thats driving me nuts coming form the drivers door/steering column area. To my shock, they told me it was a $100 diagnostic fee to find the squeak, and that squeaks and rattles were only covered for 12k miles. This is absurd, $100k for a car and build quality issues are only covered for 12,000 miles? Has anyone heard of this before?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,757 Posts
The factory warranty covers different items for different periods of time. Some things are not covered at all unless they are defective. Have a bit of trim or a screw work loose after 12K miles/one year is nothing serious and not at all uncommon no matter how much you spend on any make of car. This is why it is so important during any new car ownership to report any odd noises and malfunctions when first noticed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Much to my frustration, I dropped my car in for its first service this morning and wanted them to look at a squeak thats driving me nuts coming form the drivers door/steering column area. To my shock, they told me it was a $100 diagnostic fee to find the squeak, and that squeaks and rattles were only covered for 12k miles. This is absurd, $100k for a car and build quality issues are only covered for 12,000 miles? Has anyone heard of this before?
I've heard rumors that some dealerships are doing this because it takes a tech to do it, basically one hour of labor. The MB dealership didn't charge it to me since I knew exactly what it was due to being able to replicate it; it was also something they had done for someone else with the same car as mine. Lexus is the only dealership to never charge me and have said they never will for something like that. They just give me a questionnaire that takes 5 minutes. Which dealership do you go to by the way?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Land Rover Flatirons. I may talk to the service manager at Land Rover Denver and see if they'd honor it. Nickle and Diming me for $99 when the car is rattling after dropping close to $100k there is just annoying

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Squeaks and rattles caused by worn trim / loose or missing trim screws and fasteners, etc, are normally considered "Service adjustments" as they generally don't require the replacement of defective warrantied parts, just some tucking and tightening (and are often a major PITA to diagnose...) Some wear parts - soft trim, wiper blades, most squeaks and rattles developing over time, even brakes rotors or pads, but only if these are found to be defective from the factory - and related service adjustments are covered for 1 year or 12.5K miles, whichever occurs first, by LRNA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts