RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a 2016 RR SC and wondering what the reliability has been on these rigs. If a warranty is required is it very spendy. I have a Mercedes S550 now and it has been very reliable but have heard some horror stories about the Range Rovers electronics.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
151 Posts
Like any other European vehicle ... BUY IT !! It’s insurance to cover possible big ticket “ anything is possible “ issues....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Without knowing any specific details, I would say a 2016 should still be under factory warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at units with factory warranty remaining but typically like to extend the factory warranty if the cost is reasonable. I test drove both the TDI and SC V8 and the V8 is way more fun but I can see the novelty of the SC V8 wearing off and being left with horrible MPG. Any thoughts on SCV8 vs TDI?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would love to do CPO but there are very few CPO vehicles near me that match what I am looking for, plus the RR dealer in my area likes to tack on 10K over what everyone else is selling the same vehicle for.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Keep in mind, you don’t need to buy a warranty when you pick up the Range Rover, as long as you buy it before the last month or 1000 miles of your existing Factory warranty , but call the F&I dept of your local Dealer to confirm this. Also, the “Land Rover extended warranties” aren’t actually Land Rover, they are 3rd Party. The cost varies depending on the age/mileage at which you buy it, and the length of time and mileage you want to be covered for, but I would budget for $4-5000.

There are a lot of variables, Dealers love to sell warranties, they will be happy to give you all the options and a price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was in a similar boat. While I like my local dealer (have bought several new vehicles over the years from them). They didn’t have what I wanted in used inventory.

I found the used RR that I wanted at a Non-JLR dealer. However, the group that owned this dealer also has a JLR dealer in its portfolio (it is very common for a dealer group to own multiple stores, sometimes they are under different names. i.e. John Smith Chevy is owned by the same group as Jack Jones Audi.)

I looked up what group owned the non-JLR dealer and then checked if the have a JLR franchise in their portfolio. I called their JLR store and told them that I saw a vehicle I like at one of their other stores and will pay the listed price under 2 conditions:
1) The vehicle is transferred to the JLR store and sold with a 7 year CPO (this cost the dealer about ~$5-6K to purchase the warranty for the CPO. As mentioned the CPO program is technically a third-party warranty.
2) I wanted the car shipped to me, about 600 miles away. This probably cost the dealer $1,000.

After thinking about it for a few days and some discussions, we agreed on everything above except we split the shipping costs. So while I paid a little above their asking price, I got quite a bit extra.

It is worth a shot to try if you are set on particular options/color.

Would love to do CPO but there are very few CPO vehicles near me that match what I am looking for, plus the RR dealer in my area likes to tack on 10K over what everyone else is selling the same vehicle for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts