RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of a warped block? My head gasket just went and my mechanic says this is a possibility depending on the damage, but doesn't know until its apart. He's hoping its just head gasket and a skim of the heads but they have had one disco and a range that had slipped liner and warped blocks in the past. I am just curious what the chances are.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Head gasket failures are usually the cause of another underlying issue but, most of the time are just due to old age. If it is a reoccuring problem along with slipped liners, there is the possibility that the block may be warped. This usually occurs when the engine has been running hot for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was due to overheating I am sure. I have a had a small leak i couldn't pinpoint, replaced rad, thermostat and heatercore o rings over the last six months and everything seemed well. Then the leak came back, couldn't find it did a sniff test on the coolant but came up clean. Turned out o be the heater core, the day i figured it out the head gasket went. I am taking it into the shop on monday to have it fixed so hopefully the damage is not to severe. My mechanic is pretty sure the gaskets been weak for a while and it decided to go due to the heater core leak and a day of driving in 34 Celsius with AC on. Its the first real problem in 4 years and 60k KM so i figured i was due.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was spiking between the red and the edge of the safe zone just as i pulled over and turned it off the red light came on. I shut it down and filled it with coolant ten minutes later started it and the temp gauge stayed at midnight.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
That's close enough though. Maybe worth getting it checked by a pressure and a combustion test?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts