RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that quite a few people on other forums (not this one yet, obviously because we must all be much smarter than forum members elsewhere :wink: ) have been taken by some unscrupulous eBay merchants selling genuine "new, uncut" key fobs for 2005-2009 LR3/RRS for some $100 or so - dealers want $400+ for one by the time it's all said and done - only to realize that, while the key blade may be cut to match, the car won't start, the remote won't work, and authorized dealers are no help in making the key work with their car.

As a reminder, each RRS key fob that leaves the factory contains a microchip that must be programmed by Land Rover (in the UK) to match VIN and other info contained within our individual cars' electronic modules. This data is checked each time you slide the key in the ignition and if it doesn't match, the car won't start and nothing will work. The EEPROM in the fob cannot be programmed or overwritten by any dealer, once issued by LRUK the key becomes useless on any other RRS. All a dealer can do is enable or disable a key intended for a specific vehicle. A blade cut to match the original will open the driver's door through the emergency lock on the handle, but that's all you can do with it. Don't buy used or "New, uncut! See your dealer for programming" keys on eBay.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Thanks Umberto.

If only I had a similar warning before buying the genuine Lolex watch I purchased on eBay for $200. Let's just put it this way, be suspicious if the guy you're buying from says the only reason the name in the listing is misspelled because a certain letter on his keyboard isn't working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts