RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my first post in this forum: :)

I just bought my first RRS, a 2006 HSE, Zambezi Silver and I am completely in-love with the new Bali Blue Metallic. I asked the dealer about where the best places were to get my new car painted and he advised I don't do it because it will decrease the value of the car significantly, and then the cost of the painting will further put me in the hole, on the whole. His estimates were $7000 decrease in value right off the bat and $4000-$5000 cost to paint puts it at a total loss of $11-12k. So, my question is, is he correct in the decrease in value of the car? I suppose I can understand to a point because Carfax will report the car has been "repainted" but there has to be a way around this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you planning to flip the Rover? With an '06, how long do you plan on keeping it. If you are going to keep it for several years, then do what you want to it. Who cares if it loses its value if you plan on keeping it. Remember...This is YOUR truck. You didnt buy it with the next owner in mind. You bought it so you can drive around letting everyone know that you are rollin' the baddest truck in town.

Now go out there and get your Bali Blue on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JRRS said:
Okay, my first post in this forum: :)

I just bought my first RRS, a 2006 HSE, Zambezi Silver and I am completely in-love with the new Bali Blue Metallic. I asked the dealer about where the best places were to get my new car painted and he advised I don't do it because it will decrease the value of the car significantly, and then the cost of the painting will further put me in the hole, on the whole. His estimates were $7000 decrease in value right off the bat and $4000-$5000 cost to paint puts it at a total loss of $11-12k. So, my question is, is he correct in the decrease in value of the car? I suppose I can understand to a point because Carfax will report the car has been "repainted" but there has to be a way around this.
There is truth about loosing value. As a buyer, i wouldn't want to buy a car that has been repainted, let alone another paint color than the original. But like the previous posts says, it's your truck and you bought it for your enjoyment. Don't worry about the resale value cause you'll love this truck even more especially with the color you aspire.... GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... you really brightened my day up. I'm gonna go out and get my Bali Blue on and I'm gonna get a personalized plate that says "BaliBali" which means "FastFast" in Korean. :) I just have to find a State that allows 8 letters on a plate!

I do plan to keep this thing for a while and I certainly didn't get it for the next guy to come along.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Enjoy it for a year in silver ,then paint it blue .

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer but why not hang in there with silver (very cool), clean it up (fix everything) sell it and then spring for the real deal.
6k + 34k go a long way towards a 2010 RRS.
I'm way serious, just aspire to your next mark, retro-fitting sounds so loose-loose to me. I don't know, save your money, the rig is already cool in silver.

Rafa

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
If you don't mind doing some paint prep and masking yourself beforehand, Earl Scheib is having a $249 whole car special until next Wednesday. Here's the link for the coupon,

http://www.earlscheib.com/GetCoupon.aspx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone! If the cost of repainting is reasonable, I may consider it. I do like the Silver just fine, I'm just partial to the Bali blue... and NO, I'm not going to make my plate say "BALIBLEW"! Thanks for the idea though.

My RRS is an '06 and I have noticed the infamous clunking noise coming from the front driver side wheel. I know this has been reviewed in other posts and I will have it looked at, but can anyone tell me that has had this fixed what the cost was? I'm curious. Also, my "engine" light came on and now I have a "parking brake" fault light that appears randomly. Just annoying really since I just bought it. I suppose I will take it in to have it looked at this weekend.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Step away from the wallet.

Is you car under warranty still?

if not, the ailments you speak of are relatively minor, but will cost $$ none the less.

You're looking at bushings, joins, and a few adjustments.

Likely not major, but big enough to relinquish the whole paint job till further notice.

Rafa

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rafa said:
Step away from the wallet.

Is you car under warranty still?

if not, the ailments you speak of are relatively minor, but will cost $$ none the less.

You're looking at bushings, joins, and a few adjustments.

Likely not major, but big enough to relinquish the whole paint job till further notice.

Rafa
Fan-frickin-tastic!!!!

The car is an '06 with 45k miles. I think the original warranty was 5 years / 50,000k but I will have to check. The dealership sold it to me "As-Is".

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
You should check...soon.

Hint: the factory warranty is not 5 yrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right... called the dealership and found out it was 4 years/50,000k... hence... gone! :(

So, now I will take it in and see how much damage can be done to my wallet in a single estimate.

** NOTE: I still love my RRS! This is just a minor setback.
*** NOTE NOTE: And all-of-a-sudden, the silver color is growing on me! :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
JRRS said:
Right... called the dealership and found out it was 4 years/50,000k... hence... gone! :(

So, now I will take it in and see how much damage can be done to my wallet in a single estimate.

** NOTE: I still love my RRS! This is just a minor setback.
*** NOTE NOTE: And all-of-a-sudden, the silver color is growing on me! :)

That's the spirit. I won't be that much, I had the rear bushings done for $185, and front joints(wheels will have to be re-aligned) for $475 but it was under my extended warranty
If you're taking it to the dealer you bought it from, talk to the sales guy, there's a couple of TSBs on the matter, so he might split it with you.
If he doesn't, then go independent shop and you might save a couple of $$

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rafa, that price quote on the repair is encouraging. :) I was expecting a couple grand or more. I am taking it in this weekend to the dealer. Supposedly he has contacts with some repair shops that I can get a good deal at. I will keep everyone posted with the actual work done and the cost for others who may be "suffering" from the same RRS blues. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts