RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm considering buying aasap a 1998-9 Range Rover. Miles 75k to 180k.

What technical problems and symptoms specifically should I look for on the car and what work should have been done by now?

What typically goes wrong: headgasket's, EAS (symptoms?), likely rust areas, etc.

Thanks!!

Andy

·
Registered
407 Posts
except for the headgasket part which I still believe comes from people not noticing the Oh Sh!^ light till its to late, most things I dont consider problems. Just maintenance. Keep these things in mind

EAS will wear out, without a doubt. It is not a fix it and forget it system but with the resources here and cheaper parts now you can maintain relatively cheap and easy. Minus you never get a "HARD FAULT" (trip to the dealer for youuuuu). There are other options that will give you lifetime carefree trouble but I dare not mention it as I dont wont to unnerve some of the town folk around here.

Blend Motors. Again, yes, it will break, maintenance issue I see it. Moving parts will fail after awhile. There is a DIY on here to replace them but the little buggers are still expensive just to be a electric servo in a box. (they control hot and cold air blowing on each side)

Headliner. You touch it, you break it. If its not sagging its been replaced. If its sagging its an easy fix at a local shop.

A/C display. If you can read the display, You already have God on your side. If you can see an illumated book on it, not really hell but welcome to purgatory (reference blend motor above)

Brakes. There is something around here about not braking and the whole not being able to stop thing(no worry if you have the oh Sh!^ dont worry about it brush bar). 5 range rovers later I never had that problem, not sure if its to a specific year or all of them. Never had a problem though

Plan on changing all fluid immediately after purchase.

Make sure its a 4.6HSE. If its not it better be one sweet of a deal. Like 3-5k deal. I find really nice 4.6hse from that year for 5-7k all the time.

Test butt warmers. (both sides) <--feel for the okie doke once not testing the other side.

If i think of anything else later I will post, im sure more of the crew will chime in on this with there information. CYA soon and post pics when you do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll sell you mine as soon as I get the headliner done - fixed everything else. 8)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
OP, where are you located at? There are members here from all over the world mate....

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
These years are pre BMW / Thor system?

Are they then better than the later ones?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts