RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I would like to add a modicum of genuine walnut trim to my 4.6HSE. Saw one the otehr day with walnut covered everything, locks, handles...it looked bloody awful! :lol: You could just tell it was the cheap stick on stuff. Looking on microcat I see that the original kit from LR looked like a stick on kit itself!

Ive noticed that there seems to be a slight difference in the HEVAC trim. Some Ive seen cover the whole panel, ie the fan decals, whereas some leave this rectangle as plastic. Which is genuine?

similar story with the window switch panel. Should there be an upside down blank T peice here (around mirror switch and sunroof button)?

I just downt want to bid on a peice on tebay thinking Im getting the genuuine stuff only to be ripped off and dissapointed. :think:

your observations would be appreciated.

Dave
Durham, UK
1996 4.6 HSE

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
You'll find that the quality and materials vary. Dan (Detroit_Pierogi) is the expert and he is a vendor for these things so I expect he can fill you in.

I fitted a genuine kit to add to my HSE and this was a switch pack, transmission, instrument binnicle and HEVAC kit. They were walnut veneer, with the HEVAC and binnicle both being stick on self adhesive. I expect the more up market Holland and Holland type stuff to be solid though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Everyone has their own taste. On some of the special editions, I find that the wood trim looks like they just tapped it on, while others look OEM and very nice. I want to upgrade mine with more wood trim, but primarily around the center console so it looks like it is a 2002. Currently I am looking for new tires, so the wood isn't a high priority right now :D .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi

I tried to get to the bottom of this issue a while ago. Don't take what I say as gospel but my understanding is that only the autobography models and above (Holland & Holland etc) use real burl walnut veneer. Anything less (like my 98 4.6 HSE) is a paper film - if you have a look at the glovebox trim at the end you can see the cross section of it - a bit of untidy finishing if ever it existed.

The crowds that offer the stick on kits appear to use an epoxy resin. I tried to get a straight answer out of a few of them - is it or is it not real burr walnut wood but couldn't. The price difference is the give away. I'm not sure what the OEM stick on kits are made of.

I recently had my Ranger done by Silvercrest woodwork and design in the UK with real burl walnut venner. The work was expensive but first class. It looks better than the original I think - for example, on the main console instead of running the finish horizontally along the top and bottom of the switches it was recessed in and around the switches which looks really good. The good folk there seemed to have the low down on this issue. Also used the opportunity to upgrade to the later drinks holder.

Cheers

Andy

Melbourne

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well, I think mine is real wood on the doors and above the glove box, and it is an SE. I have a good eye for pointing out when wood is fake or real in a car. My fathers escalade has fake wood everywhere, except the steering wheel. A thin strip around the wheel is a real wood veneer, rest is FAKE. I know the wood in the center console of my rover is fake, it is very clear. I am almost certain that the rest if real though. The key is looking at the shine and contrast of the wood in different light. The wood itself will sparkle or change different to different shades in varying light. Plastic will remain unchanged. Only one car has ALMOST fooled me, and that was the hyundai genesis.

·
Registered
463 Posts
andyaa said:
Hi

I tried to get to the bottom of this issue a while ago. Don't take what I say as gospel but my understanding is that only the autobography models and above (Holland & Holland etc) use real burl walnut veneer. Anything less (like my 98 4.6 HSE) is a paper film - if you have a look at the glovebox trim at the end you can see the cross section of it - a bit of untidy finishing if ever it existed.

The crowds that offer the stick on kits appear to use an epoxy resin. I tried to get a straight answer out of a few of them - is it or is it not real burr walnut wood but couldn't. The price difference is the give away. I'm not sure what the OEM stick on kits are made of.

I recently had my Ranger done by Silvercrest woodwork and design in the UK with real burl walnut venner. The work was expensive but first class. It looks better than the original I think - for example, on the main console instead of running the finish horizontally along the top and bottom of the switches it was recessed in and around the switches which looks really good. The good folk there seemed to have the low down on this issue. Also used the opportunity to upgrade to the later drinks holder.

Cheers

Andy

Melbourne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts