RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed the Dead-red-rover about 10 hours last Friday, about 6 of that was dumping rain... I think that steam-cleaned the inside of the engine, because now I'm getting 15mpg around town (used to get 12) and 18 highway... And the Butt Dyno says "big improvement!"

Note to self, tow in the rain appx once a year...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
We've all heard of an "Italian tuneup", I guess towing in the rain is a "Rover tuneup".

·
Registered
701 Posts
I steam clean mine every year, along with my other cars. Can't say I notice an increase in performance. However, I hate working on a greasey dusty dirty a$$ engine. I do get 15mpg in the city and 19 to 20 on the HWY though `)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Makes sense though. Pulling puts the screws to it, and adding water to the air stream is going to knock out the carbon deposits. Isn't SeaFoam and some of the other engine cleaning additives water based?

·
Registered
210 Posts
My very tired 2.25 diesel engine got a new lease of life after I accidentaly went to deep in a pond and took in a lot of water, at the time I thought I'd killed it and managed to just keep it going and crawled out of the pond with huge white clouds behind, it carried on at crawl speed with foot right down for a few minutes then started to clear once all the steam had cleared from the exhaust and it was running at normal speeds I pulled over and empty the oil bath filter and put oil in place of the watery sludge that was now in there, it started up again no problem and has been loads better, lots more grunt when going up hills and top speed went from 50mph to about 65mph (on a good run with the wind behind you and no hills!)

I don't recommend anyone trying it but if you're lucky not to lock your engine then a good internal steam clean seems to do wonders on a 40 year old diesel engine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts