RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many months of trouble-free rovering, now sat beside M5 motorway jct 13/14 with water shooting out the front of the engine...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate. Water pump gone maybe? Or just a hose?
Stop before it cooked?

Martin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so, I stopped as soon as I could after I heard some whistling and then noticed the red overheat light. I think I stopped within 60 seconds or 1 mile of whatever's happened starting. But I know these engines cook quick...I'm thinking water pump, but I can't inspect it until the truck arrives, it's just too dangerous with heavy lorries thundering past with feet to spare... I'll report back later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to close this thread, car now home, water pump had collapsed bearing (visibly lop-sided on exterior inspection). Replaced with Valeo part. Belt tensioner was also replaced as it was stiff. Two and a half hours labour.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Book time just for the water pump is 2.2hrs Carl.
Add a little on for checking the tensioners, pulleys, etc, and it sounds about right to me mate.
I dont think there is anything wrong with that 2.5hrs, especially as the mechanic is (hopefully) going to be checking all other pulleys, bearings, etc and replacing the tensioner.
Just my 2.5 cents....:lol:
Martin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, tensioner was swapped for a new one, as the old one was very stiff to turn. So far so good, hope I can return to the unusually reliable running status I have enjoyed over the preceeding 12 months...not holding my breath though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts