Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried about getting my BeCM wet in river crossings in my P38.

Check out and pause this clip at 24 seconds and please explain why this vehicle is still running.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/205- ... 178079.htm

PS: I would give a nut to compete in this event however I believe it is no longer running...?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It only dips under briefly and as it is moving water tends
not to creep into the vehicle too quickly.
He would only have to stop for a few seconds with the bonnet/
door seals submerged before water would start to do it's damage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
zem said:
PS: I would give a nut to compete in this event however I believe it is no longer running...?
I heard from the G4 owners club at the last show I was at that it's just not on this year, or maybe it wasnt on last year. credit crunch blah blah lack of funding or somthing. I think it's land rovers own spin off of the Camel trophy.

q-rover said:
It only dips under briefly and as it is moving water tends
not to creep into the vehicle too quickly.
He would only have to stop for a few seconds with the bonnet/
door seals submerged before water would start to do it's damage.
Yea I agree. I can merrilly trundle along through a meter of water without much coming inside my discovery, but when I stop or get stuck the water tends to suddenly start coming into the cabin. If you see someone stop from outside you'll usually notice lots of water pouring out of their front grill as the engine bay fills with water. It's all to do with momentum and vacume and bow waves and such like, far too complicated for my simple mind to comprehend this late in the evening.

·
Registered
665 Posts
a quick dunk wont hurt. now leave it submerged for a while and you habe problems. I had an older 4x4, gutted the interior and kept driving into the pond, and sealing up wherever the water came in. gave up just past the dash, it kept leaking

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah makes sense, I'm worried about getting bogged and drowning my BeCM.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
zem said:
Yeah makes sense, I'm worried about getting bogged and drowning my BeCM.
A firm base is the key, the door seals are fantastic on the P38 until the water reaches the door handles, but which time the water pressure will start to force its way past (or out of the speaker grill!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5YZ7Rf_4E

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
284 Posts
Hi guys,

I posted this same question in the "drowned" thread, is there a way to waterproof the electronics inside the cabin? Or as was mentioned here, are the door seals really that good? I am planning a trip to the tip of northern Australia (Cape York) and there are quite a few water crossings along the way. With luck and a good "dry season" the water depth should be ok, but if there's been a bit of rain.....

Cheers
Mick

G

·
The only thing I have found so far is this http://lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2149. I called the other day and they have never done a P38 BeCM before, he was getting a wrecked one in and going to take a look at it and get back with me. One issue is the fusebox on the BeCM, so even if the boards are waterproofed the fuses aren't. Initial price is $150US and the truck would be down for a week or two. In your case it might not be feasible since you are in Australia, but I would email them and see if you could get an idea as to what type of epoxy they use and possibly do it yourself. Good luck

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
284 Posts
Hi Max,

thanks for the idea on cost. I had seen your post on the lucky 8 stuff and checked their website. I was thinking of using conformal coating (I am an electronics tech) but of course, as you say, this only protect the boards. I guess that would be enough, so that it could be dried out and fuses replaced to keep going without a total loss of the vehicle. Potting the board in epoxy will be a major pita if the board requires any work in the future, but epoxy is the ultimate is circuit board protection.

cheers
Mick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts