RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
I'm new aroud here. Been the proud owner of a '98 P38 4.6 for almost 4 years, and still enjoy every moment of driving my baby. :thumb:
Had a few minor issues sorted the last couple of months, but lately there's a new headache developing. I'd appreciate some advice please.
I've noticed when the engine is at idle rpm, there's a slight missfire to be heard, and at the same time a "flickering" can be seen in (all!) the lights. This is obviously more visible when driving at night, to such an extent that it becomes straineous to my eyes. This is not a on/off flicker, but rather a dim/bright effect at a high frequency. This is not proportional to the engine rpm. Either high/low rpm, the frequency of flickering seems to remain constant. I have done a number of long distance trips with the problem being present, and she refuses to die on me. (I'm sure this may be a first...)
- I had the (100A) altenator checked by a auto electrician, was told there's no problem on this. Checked the altenator voltage myself afterwards, fluctuates between 12.9 - 13.2V.
- Used jumpercable leads as an additional negative (earth) from the battery and - engine to chassis, made no difference.
- There are no alarm/fault codes displayed on the instrument cluster either.

Confusing (to me) is that this ONLY happens while the engine is running. The moment the engine gets switched off, the flickering stops. :think:

Help! What else do I check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I neglected to say that the flickering can be seen when the lights are switched on while the engine is running.
Thanks. I'm going to fit a new altenator over the weekend this would hopefully sort the prob. If not, well, I suppose a little "preventative maintenance" wouldn't do any harm.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Being a 98 model Im assuming its a GEMs engine, if so then it needs another positive cable from alt direct to battery, its a upgrade that very few pre Bosch contrlled P38s have and it does make a difference.

The voltage you checked on indicates either a bad battery or dying alt.

Dont skimp on a good battery, you'll regret if you go cheap
Another area of concern is main supply cabling, a good soldering on certain bits makes a huge difference but then so does a decent fusebox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts