RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been a member at discoweb for years now but picked up a 2002 range rover recently and this site/forum is awesome.

Ive almost got everything sorted out on this car. One current issues is baffling me however.

Alternator/Battery both test well. Battery is strong on test meter. Running 13.08 volts uncranked. 13.79 with acc running and engine at 2,000rpm.

Alternator has tested well also...at least per AutoZone test equipment.

The Issue:

At idle or very low RPM range when first cranking engine I get a Fuse 8 Failed on message center. This is with only radio, hvac system on. If I turn heated seats on and lights I get fuse 6,7,20 failed. These only occur sitting at idle and not when driving. Anytime I brake (come close to stop or stop) I get the beep followed by fuse 8 failed. After several miles of driving I dont get the error anymore, unless I have a lot of accessories running.

I have installed a new mass air flow sensor. Have also reset the service engine soon light. It comes back on every few days after resetting it.
Could these issues be related? I searched the forums and found mention of alternator issues corrupting MAF. Just wondering if this was normal.

Ive narrowed it down to the BECM or Alternator/battery. Replaced battery terminals and leads hoping it would help but did not.

Any experience with this kind of issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
These vehicles LOVE electrical power. They can't live without the right amount. All sorts of crazy things happen when they don't get the correct amount and its not always uniform on every vehicle. Do you know what the code said from the check engine light?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P1117 I believe. Im pretty sure it was the engine airflow sensor.

it has a stumble at idle. put in new MAF. stumble gone. Service Engine Soon light continues to come on and off.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
A good alternator will push 14.2 volts under load at those RPM's, check wiring and also check earth cableing
for a 2002 you shouldnt have problems like this

·
Registered
593 Posts
AdExec said:
Hey guys,
Alternator/Battery both test well. Battery is strong on test meter. Running 13.08 volts uncranked. 13.79 with acc running and engine at 2,000rpm.
Alternator has tested well also...at least per AutoZone test equipment.
There is a sticky topic at the very top of this forum on the main page. Your alternator is not producing sufficient voltage OR there is a wiring problem. if you complete the sticky and post back here with ALL test results we can tell you exactly what is wrong.

You should be measuring 14.2 to 14.4 volts across your battery with accessories running. 13.8 is NOT enough.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check the belt and tensioners. A slipping belt will do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts