RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking to strip my dead Vogue and contemplating upgrading an HSE to Vogue ....

* What's the difference between HSE and Vogue - is it just trim?

* When exactly did the Bosch kit come in?

* Is there a "best year" for the P38, all other things like service being equal?

* Do I just go for the latest year, provided the servicing has been good?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I think the Vogue trim offers more leather and wood than the HSE's. The BMW p38 is the Bosch/Thor one which was from March? 1999 but I stand to be corrected by Tim who will know exactly all differences... :wink:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Richard!

I can always glue the Vogue plate on the tailgate ......

Actually, friends suggest abandoning trying to salvage the vehicle (I wanted to get that valve block :) , wheels and air bags) and going for an L322 ....... any comments?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I have driven a few MarkIII and simply don't care for them as much as the P38. I know I am going to get bashed for this, but the MarkIII is just a bit too Barbi for me. With an L322 you would have a whole new world of glitches and quirks to learn. With P38 you have a rig that is much easier to work on and you already know them pretty well. If you have the room to store the old girl for a bit, I would buy back you old rig. She was in exceptional shape and has alot of life to give.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I agree, not a huge fan of the FFRR, even if you do go for it turn the dead one into an organ donor so she can live on.

scrap heaps are so 1900's....

·
Registered
922 Posts
The "Thor" upgrade as best I can determine, started in 1999 from VIN XA410482. From my reading on these and other forums upgrades were made also to the ABS modulator, diff(front) became 4 pin instead of 2 plus other bits and pieces. I have a July1999 model HSE. It's taken 3 lots of PayPal orders from the UK to get it almost right... for a reasonable price. I'd be looking for a late 2001 or early 2002 model P38a ... just as they "get it right" of course they changed it.. and the cycle started again... more electronics, woefully heavy... more recalls etc etc...but no doubt improved performance! Good luck

·
Registered
701 Posts
I tend to like the P38 more than the L322. I will admit they are nice and very comfortable. But they are not as... well... purposeful I guess would be the right word for it. I love the look of them, the ride, feel, etc. But they are not the TRUCK that I know to be land rover. I would probably never take one off road because of their finicky behavior and I would be afraid of breaking something on its very precise exterior. In the future I will most likely get an l322, but keep my p38, because nothing can replace the p38 in my opinion. It is a balance of both utility and luxury, right in between classic and the mkIII. Not too luxurious and not too bare (even though I really like the classics too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts