RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to Moab, Utah but have always wanted to. I have some questions I was hoping you all could answer.

1. What is the best time of year to go? I want to avoid the super hot weather and hopefully lines and lines of rigs waiting to wheel.

2. What are some good trails for a basically stock '95 Classic (save for the 2 inch lift and MT tires)? I'd like something that is somewhat challenging, but nothing that will scare my wife to death (and I'll have my 2 small children along). Basically, I don't want to spend the day on a dirt road, but I would like to have some fun.

3. What extra gear would you consider a must? I can't go out and buy a bunch of equipment for the trip, but I don't want to go out there naive and get myself or my family in trouble and be 10 hours from home.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe no one has been to Moab? I figured I'd get a ton of responses on this topic. Either that or no one wants to share their secrets. :think:

Colin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
S
E
A
R
C
H

Plenty of pictures posted about trips to Moab over the last several years here

Also check out the website for the Solihull Society (Colorado Land Rover Club)...

Buy Charles Wells book on Utah, it has all the information on the trails you'll encounter there.

Look at Bill Burke's 4 Wheeling America site...also good information there by Bill on trips to Moab...

Youtube also tons of videos

The trails are endless...you have to calibrate your driver skills, rig setup, going solo or with another vehicle to determine which trails are best suited for your situation. If you're taking family along, budgeting for water, extra gas, food and all that...those are basics...

Also recommend getting a SPOT device if you are really going into back country.

Now...back to the Search function...put in Moab, see what you find!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PJPR01, I appreciate the response. I did search prior to posting my question and came up with 10 results for the word "moab" in the Classic forum. No information there. I've watched tons of videos and have yet to find one that explained what time of year they were there and if their Rover was stock or not. I was hoping someone with a stock Classic could help me out. I've searched the web forever just trying to find out what time of year is best. I still can't find an answer to that one. Spring and Fall appear to be the best for the weather, but I can't find anything on when the crowds aren't crazy. I don't want to load up the family and set out on a 20 hour round trip and not have an idea of what I'm getting into.

Colin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Hello Colin,

Fair enough...so maybe a few suggestions then for you, not knowing your exact driver skill level or mechanical ability. Also...search on the entire site, not just the Classic section...

The White Rim Trail is a relatively easy adventure, with some pucker factor spots that you can easily over 2 days, probably 3 with the little ones in tow. You'll want to make sure you have plenty of water, gas (crawling along at low range at times) and all the cooking, shelter and other recovery gear you need for the vehicle. Spare tire, extra gas, air compressor, hi-lift or other high quality jack, tire puncture repair kit, refrigerator, camping gear, d-shackles, snatch strap, tools, all the basics of off road adventures.

It's a 90 mile SPECTACULAR trail to see the inside of Moab, very isolated, no cell phone traffic (make sure you get a Personal Locator Beacon or a SPOT device for emergency). If you can imagine driving thru a Clint Eastwood movie, with amazing scenic photo opportunities at every mile, this will give you an idea of what awaits.

I don't recommend (but I saw quite a few doing so) doing it solo if you've never done any offroading, especially with family along, but if you're comfortable and have the gear, it's one of the most rewarding trips thru Moab. There are campsites every 10 miles...obviously you'll want to do this in Spring or Fall to avoid the heat of the summer, but I've been thru there in summer time, and it was quite enjoyable...managed to get a few cool days in luckily.

The book by Charles Wells is really a good source of information...your Classic if mechanically sound will do many of the trails, but you'll want to ensure you are driving on either All Terrain tires or other stickier tires to get grip on the slick rock, and you can always air down when necessary. You'll be amazed at the traction you can get on some seriously steep inclines on some of the trails.

Google Moab on the web, Check out White Rim trail, look at Expedition Portal and search for Moab...I think you'll find quite a bit of good info.

Also...check out the Solihull Society, there are plenty of guys there with Classics who have done MOab as well.

The picture in my Avatar is from Moab - coming up Long Canyon thru Pucker Pass.

Cheers.
Paul

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Hey Colin, Adam Spiker (Off Roving) is going to to Moab in mid-May (5/16-21), it is a Southern California Land Rover club event but, if you were thinking of visiting Moab around that date anyway and are not adverse to joining other Land Rovers on the trail, I am sure they would not mind you tagging along with their group as long as they stay within the 8-vehicle limit... It sounds like the type of "family" trip you may enjoy with your wife and kids. I have joined Adam on several outings (including Colorado and Arizona) and he has always put together scenic, fun and impressively well organized trips. Here is a loose description of the event: http://www.sclr.org/calendar/details/46 ... ation.html - and a thread on the club's Roverboard with possible itineraries and trails they may undertake: http://www.sclr.org/roverboard/1-roverb ... -2010.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul, thanks a million for the detailed response. That sounds like a great trail to run with the family. I'm definitely going to do some research on it. Maybe I can find a video or two online.

Umbertob, thanks for the recommendation. I wish I could go during that time, but work won't allow. I appreciate the info, though.

Thanks again, guys.

Colin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts