RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visit to dealer to replace pulley & belt, now my truck roars everywhere.

I had a chirping from the belt on cold starts. I took it to my indy shop who said that everything was in order and they put some "belt quiet" on it to take care of the squeak. I knew that wasn't the right answer and was disappointed that they didn't properly diagnose the problem, and of course, the squeak returned. I took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as a tensioner pulley (which I already thought) and they replaced the pulley and belt. When I was talking with the service guy I saw "fan mod" noted on his worksheet and he said that it was the "service bulletin" regarding replacing my pulley and belt. I thought that was very odd because they shouldn't modify the fan to replace a belt and tensioner. I drove away from the dealer and the truck was roaring with the fan on 100% full. I thought maybe the truck was hot and needed to cool (it was 100 degrees out). Cold start Saturday morning and off I roar. It's so loud I can't even hear my exhaust. It sounds like an 18-wheeler. I called the service guy to ask about it and he says it's coincidence that the viscous fan failed just now. Stranger things have happened, but my gut says that's total BS and I'm really frustrated. I think my guy isn't being 100% honest with me which is a real problem. Anyone have any idea about the "fan mod" note / service bulletin that he had on his sheet? There was no fan modification needed because it was working just fine. Can I diagnose the fan myself before taking it back to them so I know if they are being legit or not??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Re: Visit to dealer to replace pulley & belt, now my truck roars everywhere.

Not sure what the issue is but mine will roar as well once in a while(even at cold start) when it's hot outside and when I have the AC blasting.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

It is an unfortunate coincidence or they did something there. I just quickly checked the TSB's I have access to and didn't find anything specific--but it may be buried in another TSB, and I don't have every TSB either.

That said, check this thread

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/29859-viscous-fan-clutch.html

It's a chance it could be a temp sensor/thermostat related as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hmmm...

Keep in mind that the PCM relies on inputs from the coolant temp sensor and the HVAC control module to calculate fan speed.
Think it's possible they forgot to plug something back in? Would the truck freak out without proper feedback from either of those modules?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts

In my old '05 LR3, I had the same problem. The engine roared in all rpm ranges all the time due to a failed viscous coupling. Definitely could be coincidence, but if it just started right after they changed the belt tensioner and all that, he may have instigated the failure.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
165 Posts

check that the viscous if plugged in. Drivers side of the engine compartment on the fan shroud should be a four wire connector to the fan.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks. I checked that and spun the fan around to see if it turned. Plug was plugged and fan was fanning. It's at the dealer now... we'll see how big of a punch my wallet takes this time. :-/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts