1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visit from the Low Coolant Fairy- IS the Havoline Dexcool OK? RSS 07

Hello all,

Had my first run in with the coolant fairy. Message pops on and off and I checked the levels this morning and it does look a little bit low (pictures attached) first thought was the faulty sensor issue, but my vehicle is a late model 07 and wasnt included in the TSB...will still get it checked out though...but for now:

Since its Sunday, the only option right now is my local OReilly's which has the Havoline Dex-Cool (orange) but I am nervous as after reading this article and thread:

http://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/texaco-havoline-xlc-coolant-where-buy-36082/
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

I am planning to have her taken in to my indy shop this weekend to take a look. But for now, to get me through the week, will the Dex Cool be alright for use? As you can see from the pictures there is a buildup of the orange on the top part of the reservoir. Should I just drain it out and use another coolant? Thoughts? Concerns?

Vehicle Stats:
• 2007 RRS HSE
• 80,781 Miles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Visit from the Low Coolant Fairy- IS the Havoline Dexcool OK? RSS 07

Since you are in Texas (minimal chance of temps dropping low enough to freeze your coolant/crack your block) I'd suggest just topping it off with distilled water enough to bring it up to the proper level. Then let your Indy shop address the leak. (generally speaking coolant doesnt drop that low unless there is an issue)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks!

I just topped it off to the fill line (used the Havoline Orange) letting get to running temp. right now...*crossing fingers* - I'll be taking it into see whats going on but so far there has been no leaks or drips, if anything... it might be a minor leak...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Dex-cool is fine. Re: that link, I'm not sure what all the hub-bub was about in the initial years of dex-cool was about, but its what goes in our vehicles. You can have the cooling system pressure tested for leaks, if you've never looked at the level before 80K miles (and you live in a hot climate), this would not be terribly unusual. If this has just happened recently, then a pressure test should be done. You should have added a 50/50 mix version not straight coolant. Most evap losses are water not coolant, so as mentioned above, distilled water by itself is usually an ok temp fix. Leaks are a different story and require the mix.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks gooseyloosey!

Did as recommended in your post; drove her around for some errands after getting the engine to operating temp. Everything was stable, and temp stayed consistent throughout the drive; no messages *knock on wood*. Looks like the sensor was telling the truth! I will plan on still taking her in just to have the pressure test done; and possible replace the tank- there is some of that orange gunk forming at the top...not sure if it's normal...but nonetheless shes running well. Thanks for the tips guys! Hope this helps out others with coolant issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts