RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 RRS SC, that has vision assist fitted. I'm actually one of the mythical 1% of RRS owners that will actually take the car offroad.
I would REALLY like to be able to easily bring up the "5 camera" display so I can monitor the sides of the vehicle while offroading.

The only way I've found to get that screen is to put the vehicle in reverse to bring up the single rear camera view, then touch the screen, and about 1 in 5 times a screen pops up with a camera menu button (it seems very temperamental to even get there).

The manual says that one of the options for the customizable soft buttons on the home screen is a camera menu button, however on my car, no camera option appears in the list of configurable buttons under the setup menu.

Does anyone else have a similar car and can confirm there actually is/isn't a camera soft button? Is your camera screen temperamental too? (maybe mine is somehow faulty?).
Anyone have any idea how to assign a camera button to the home screen?

Thanks,
Neil,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes. The button is to the right. Odd that you’re not seeing it on the home screen. TBH, 2010-2013 LR4/RRS vision assist cameras were a bit of a gimmick. I did LRE in one with vision assist and the instructors weren’t crazy about them. In day light they are poorly white balanced and often bleach things out and it wasn’t until 2013 that the LR4 got its front cameras moved to the actual corners of the vehicle to better provide views of your actual track in front of you.

The side cameras are great for parking between the lines in parking spaces though.

When off roading, spotting is definitely the better option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has the camera button on the home screen to the right
Thankyou! Would you mind posting a screenshot of your screen, showing the camera button, so I can take it to my local LR dealer and show him what I'm talking about?
Frankly they're clueless, especially about anything over 3 years old, but they are also the gatekeepers to the necessary tools to fix stuff like that.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way here's mine.... no camera button on the screen and no camera button listed under setup in customiseable home buttons.
20180319_141442.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does yours have the "P button" near the heated seats controls? I have the 13, and that's where mine is. Once you hit that, it pops up on the screen and you can go from there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks like you need a Gap IIDtool or something else (dealer) to change your Config-Settings and choose the correct setting to recognize/turn on this feature

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
wow.....

its under extra features. If your rig is in fact equipped you can select extra features and that will bring up the option of 4x4 menu or cameras

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I don't have it under extra features. I only have the 4x4i button there. Its good to at least have it confirmed that something funky is definately going on though.

I purchased the car last week and recently noticed an extra sheet in the manual folder that is for an after-market device that is apparently intended to allow you to watch DVDs and set nav destinations etc on the front screen while the car is moving. As I can do that, I'm presuming it must be installed. I'm guessing it may also be inadvertently stopping the entertainment system from detecting the multi-camera module on startup (does it even do that?) which is in turn preventing the camera button from appearing.

I've got a set of piano black trim pieces arriving today to replace the installed anigre wood trim, so while I'm replacing those, I'll also hunt down and uninstall the aftermarket module (it apparently plugs between the screen and the factory cable to the screen so it must be physically close to the screen somewhere) to see if that makes any difference.

Worst case is I'll have to take the car to the official dealer and pay them $hundreds for just 5 minutes to plug in a service computer and reset the configuration.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now happy to report that I solved it.
I took the dash apart and as suspected, found my car has one of these installed: http://www.cruxinterfacing.com/listings/vimlr-89/
When I uninstalled it the "cameras" button now shows up and works fine.
The module has 6 configuration DIP switches on it, so I reinstalled the module and messed with those.
Switch 2 was set and according to the instruction sheet, it should be if the car has "factory camera", however I found it needs to be off for the Vision Assist system to work. Everything works great now so I left it installed, so features that are normally disabled while the car is in motion such as nav entry and watching DVD on the front screen now work all the time, not that I actually would watch DVDs while driving.
I just wanna say a big thanks to everyone that responded to this thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How hard was it to get the nav screen out. I’d like to install one of those modules as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The screen itself is easy, just 4 obvious screws. You'll also have to take both front centre air duct assemblies out to get the screen out... (again super easy, 2 obvious screws each).
The only even slightly troublesome part is removing the center console, not because it's difficult, but because it takes so much force to pop the lugs/spring clips out of the slots infront of the center cubby that I was scared there may have been more screws that I'd missed and that I was gonna break something. I was taking the center console out because I was also swapping out the wood trim pieces (from anigre to piano black) but if all you need to do is get to the back of the nav screen, you probably don't need to remove that.
One note... be REALLY careful with the front silver parts of the air duct assemblies.
Firstly, the silver plastic front part can pop off the rest of the assembly really easily, which you really want to avoid as the moveable fins that direct the airflow then fall out of their slots and they're a fiddly pain to get back in properly.
Also, the silver finish (on the front of the ducts) is super easy to damage. Its apparently very cheaply made so chips/peels off starting at the edges with even the slightest inadvertent contact with anything hard, which is difficult to avoid when you're lining up/refitting the panel underneath that has the display controls and analog clock in it, because it fits very snugly against them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The screen itself is easy, just 4 obvious screws. You'll also have to take both front centre air duct assemblies out to get the screen out... (again super easy, 2 obvious screws each).
The only even slightly troublesome part is removing the center console, not because it's difficult, but because it takes so much force to pop the lugs/spring clips out of the slots infront of the center cubby that I was scared there may have been more screws that I'd missed and that I was gonna break something. I was taking the center console out because I was also swapping out the wood trim pieces (from anigre to piano black) but if all you need to do is get to the back of the nav screen, you probably don't need to remove that.
One note... be REALLY careful with the front silver parts of the air duct assemblies.
Firstly, the silver plastic front part can pop off the rest of the assembly really easily, which you really want to avoid as the moveable fins that direct the airflow then fall out of their slots and they're a fiddly pain to get back in properly.
Also, the silver finish (on the front of the ducts) is super easy to damage. Its apparently very cheaply made so chips/peels off starting at the edges with even the slightest inadvertent contact with anything hard, which is difficult to avoid when you're lining up/refitting the panel underneath that has the display controls and analog clock in it, because it fits very snugly against them.
Thanks! Does the center console need to come out just to install the the device behind the nav screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd try without first. Start by (literally) pulling out the whole trim piece above the center panel (the one with the start button and media control/clock panel mounted in it) and go from there.
Rather than put the module behind the screen, theres a space under the passenger-side center air vent where the module will sit quite nicely, with the dip switches facing outwards. That way you can still get to the dip switches just by pulling the center trim out and without taking the screen out again (in case you ever want to disable it by flipping switch 1, or change its other settings for some reason).
If you have the Vision Assist package, dont forget to leave switch 2 off (unlike what it says in the instructions).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts