RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am trying to replace my water pump on 2004 4.4 v8 vogue as this has gone and also the alternater belt has snapped.
I have got a bwm specials tools to remove the fan but i can not get it to move. I have now broken the pulled and still can not reomve the nut. I am trying to undo the nut clockwise. it seams to be very rust.

any ideas?
Kieran

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,920 Posts
best bet get some PB blaster and spray at the base of the nut then use a heat gun and heat the nut spray a few more times with the heat then spray cycle.
this should loosen the nut
as you look at it, it comes off clockwise

·
Registered
865 Posts
Put the belt back on and tap the wrench with a hammer until it breaks free. Between the PB blaster and a lot of shock loads from tapping pretty hard, it'll eventually pop loose. Be sure to use a dab of anti-seize when you re-install it to prevent sticking the next time around...and there will always be a next time!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
An air chisel will make quick work of this, however I have never had one I couldn't get off with just a large wrench, and a hammer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are some very chap impact wrenches available nowadays, they may be poor quality and not last but ideal for one time use. a couple of years ago just to undo wheelnuts that had been overtightened
I had broken two wheel wrenches trying to undo the nuts, including the Discovery's factory original one. I then bought this cheap impact wrench for some 40 euro if I remember correctly. It still took me a few hours to get all the nuts undone but the impact wrench slowly but surely released them all. I'm not sure it still works after that ordeal but was worth it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace my water pump a couple of days ago and used the air chisel method. I gone and bought a 32mm wrench and tried that first, placing the wrench on the fan nut and hitting the wrench with a hammer several times. Didn't work - mine was rusted in place pretty badly. I managed to get my air chisel in place, with the chisel parallel to the nut and just a couple of mm's back from the edge of the nut. After maybe 3 seconds with the chisel on the nut started to spin. There was no damage to the nut and only a faint line where the chisel had been. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts