RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post, having had my Mark III a few months now.
I have a strange situation in that the viscous fan has suddenly started hitting the pulley down at the base of the engine. It therefore makes a terrible clattering sound. Now I am suspecting a possible worn water pump bearing as there is a very slight leak, however, I am surprised that this can cause this kind of issue.
My first question is to whether anyone has any other ideas as to what this could be and my second question is as I have the towing guy coming on Monday to take the care to the shop, is there a way I can temporarily stop the fan going round so that I can drive the car out of the parking garage so that the towing guy can actually pick the car up!

Many thanks
Phil

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi a mate of mine has just had a similar problem with his shogun and it was the bottom crank pulley had come forward it,s got a sort of rubber inner and had come a drift (common problem on them apparently) just wandering if the same might of happened here ?

rgds neil

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
phildc said:
Hi,

This is my first post, having had my Mark III a few months now.
I have a strange situation in that the viscous fan has suddenly started hitting the pulley down at the base of the engine. It therefore makes a terrible clattering sound. Now I am suspecting a possible worn water pump bearing as there is a very slight leak, however, I am surprised that this can cause this kind of issue.
My first question is to whether anyone has any other ideas as to what this could be and my second question is as I have the towing guy coming on Monday to take the care to the shop, is there a way I can temporarily stop the fan going round so that I can drive the car out of the parking garage so that the towing guy can actually pick the car up!

Many thanks
Phil
You could take the fan off. You have to take the finger guard off first to get at the nut.

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar issue it seems. The pulley behind the fan which I think normally has 4 screws lost 2 of them, and the 3rd was almost complete out. The clattering created almost sounded like a diesel engine knock. I managed to tighten the 3rd screw leaving just 2 screws directly adjacent to each other on the pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually had to push the car out of the parking lot down 3 floors! Car is at the shop now so am awaiting the bad (or good) news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heard back from the shop today and it turns out that the water pump was the problem. It also damaged the fan shroud. They are replacing all of this and the thermostat. Total bill is going to be about $900.00. Quite relieved that it wasn't anything more serious!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
phildc said:
Heard back from the shop today and it turns out that the water pump was the problem. It also damaged the fan shroud. They are replacing all of this and the thermostat. Total bill is going to be about $900.00. Quite relieved that it wasn't anything more serious!
$900!!!!!???? WTF!?

I had my WP replaced last year, part costs £62 from the dealer and then fitted for an hour's labour!

The thermostat is pence too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see what the bill says when I get it. I know that the parts come to about $450

1 - 8 of 8 Posts