RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my viscous fan clutch is giving up. For the past few weeks the fan is roaring at start-up(possibly normal due to our warm weather) longer than normal. Last night it stayed on for a half hour before finally quieting down. This morning is was on for several minutes. Is there anything else that controls this besides the temperature/fluid??

Are these straightforward to replace(like the 4.0 engines) and where can I get it?? It's not listed on the Atlantic British site or just a quick search.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Yes that sounds like a fan clutch--if you see an oil leak around the hub its a telltale sign. Thanks for the instructions Frisco. :thumb:

I haven't done a RRS clutch. But replacement may or may not be as easy as LR makes it sound, especially if you don't have the long skinny wrenches shown there. I've done them on BMW's where that nut/bolt comes off fairly easy and other times you need superhuman strength and the special fan removal tool...it also helps if you remember its reverse threaded :doh:

If you replace the clutch, you may also want to inspect/replace the plastic fan while you're in there--not sure how many miles you have. They tend to get brittle after a while and I'm not sure how LR fans hold up but I remember BMW fans were prone to disintegrate. Ouch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
geflackt said:
Looks like my viscous fan clutch is giving up. For the past few weeks the fan is roaring at start-up(possibly normal due to our warm weather) longer than normal. Last night it stayed on for a half hour before finally quieting down. This morning is was on for several minutes. Is there anything else that controls this besides the temperature/fluid??

Are these straightforward to replace(like the 4.0 engines) and where can I get it?? It's not listed on the Atlantic British site or just a quick search.
geflackt,
That fan is controlled electronically by the PCM. The fluid is merely the media it uses for lockup. A loud noise on startup can be normal, but only for a short period. (less than 60 seconds) There is an SSM explaining this so they won't get replaced unnecessarily. Keep in mind that the PCM relies on inputs from the coolant temp sensor and the HVAC control module to calculate fan speed. It then modulates the fan to obtain and maintain that speed until conditions dictate otherwise. If you have a fault with either one of those circuits, a new fan will react the same way. ibis1 ;)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Just for kicks, I checked current prices of those basic looking special tool wrenches listed in the cooling fan removal instructions.

303-1142 Wrench, fan nut: $165.76
303-1143 Viscous Coupling Removal Tool: $79.61

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
Just for kicks, I checked current prices of those basic looking special tool wrenches listed in the cooling fan removal instructions.

303-1142 Wrench, fan nut: $165.76
303-1143 Viscous Coupling Removal Tool: $79.61
Crikey.

I guess if you don't need the LR logo stamped on them and you know the size, the local AP store may have a set.

Or if you really want to look like a pro, you buy one wrench and wedge a long handled screwdriver in the pulley and hope you don't loose a digit when it breaks free. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts