RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched on this topic and found quite a bit of interesting info, but a question still remains. The usual test for the viscous coupling unit (VC) is to put transfer case in neutral, jack up one front corner and see if you can turn the wheel by hand (with some force). In the past, I could do this. The car now has 130,000 miles, and I can no longer move the wheel. Took it to the local Indy, and he has another test, which it passed. His test is to let the car idle while turning a tight circle; if it stops, you have a VC problem, if not all is OK. So, she passes one test but not the other. Anyone have any insight here? Should I just replace the VC considering the mileage? Some earlier posts seem to indicate that these things should go out around 100,000 miles.

Any comments appreciated.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Although I can't be sure I believe ours is original also. I think the tight turn is the best indicator. I tried the elevated test 10k ago and only got very slight movement. No noises on the periodic tight turns so I have actually not worried....yet. Jeff was kind enough to run our vin and a few prior owners put on a lot of miles in short order and the rest of the time she was sitting in numerous dealer/body shop lots. I assume the vc only gets a minor workout on the highway provided the front and rear tires are equal in circumference. :?:

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Viscous coupling is the blood sucking heart and sole of your full time four wheel drive. If you got over 100,000 miles on your rover I will guarantee you that the Viscous coupling unit is shot. I changed my myself and if you take your time and study it out it is not that big a deal. I bought my new one from the ????? I cant think of the name of the place right now but it is in UK. I had about $600.00 to $ 700.00 in it by the time I got it here and paid duty on it. Drive your rover in a tight circle a couple of times, stop it right there, shut it down and jack up the outside front wheel and if is in bad condition the wheel will kick back. I should not kick back at all if it is in good condition.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys.

OK Skip, I will try the jack-up test. I have done this after just driving around a bit, and no kick back, but I have not really stressed it by driving in circles first (hard to find a place to do this that will permit you the time to jack up your car!).

Wayne

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you have a Walmart close by, They usually have acres of asphalt. Just go after they close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts