RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I replaced the viscous coupling. THAT was a job, you can read about it in a few day on the blog.

Anyway when I cracked the seal between the VC and the transaxle a nice amount of lovely black liquid came out. I'd like to confirm what this fluid is. I assume it was the fluid from the VC failing.

If you have any other thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
You drained the transfer case fluid first I assume? There is a bearing that goes between the VC housing, and the diff housing but no oil seal, because the front output bearing needs lubricating. However there's a 'wall' to support the bearing between the two housings where oil could pool, even if you drain it. That's just from looking at RAVE, but there's probably drain holes or something like that. I doubt it'd be silican fluid, as that's more like a jelly from what I understand.
I'd be very interested reading your blog, i've got this job coming up soon too.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RRToadHall.
I got into the manual and into another thread here on the P38 side. I found that Dextron 3 was required. Mine is a 1993. They also recommend Mobil Agrifluid. It is very high quality fluid for tractors and 4x4 transfer cases. I'm going to look for it and possibly replace <strike>the air</strike> that was in mine. I'm really afraid right now that we ran the transfer case in a more or less inadequately filled manner for too long.

I had never replaced that fluid in the Range Rover. I did the job on the Discovery 2 but I guess I forgot about my Range Rover. Stupid mistake. :oops:

I'm hoping the transfer case wasn't trashed. I had some transmission problems after I picked up my trailer. That sick feeling isn't going away. I'm just praying right now I haven't just cost myself a crap ton of money and time. :pray:

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
FWIW,
Swapped out the VC in my son's 95 LWB. I don't remember anything alarming about the fluid other than it was dark golden and seemed thick... Replaced with Mobil Synthetic ATF (Dex3 compatible). There was about 100K miles on the vehicle when we did it.

At about 150K miles I also dropped the xfer case fluid in my 92 and found, again, a dark golden thickish liquid. Again replaced with Mobil Synthetic ATF. The VC had just been replaced when I bought it at 90K miles.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a little less rattled tonight.

I drained the transfer case. Dark fluid came out when I took out the drain plug. Not nearly as much as should be in there, but I filled it. It took about half a gallon to fill.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There's not a lot of oil in there to begin with, 3.6 pints from dry. I've always felt the oil capacity should be double that, but it doesn't seem to hurt them. Land Rover say to use Dexron 2d, which also includes dexron 3d.
It will be normal for oil to be up and around the viscous unit, as the front output shaft bearing needs to be lubricated.
I once put a dextron 3 synthetic oil in thinking it would be better, but the box started to make all sorts of noises. I swapped back to a mineral atf and it was all good again.... not sure why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I'm about to undertake replacing my VC on a 1995 RRC. I've got 180,000 miles and have been debating about replacing the whole transfer case with a rebuilt one (new chain ect). Its the labor that I'm wondering about. I'm not sure how much work I'm duplicating if i replace the VC and then in a year or something I have to replace the transfer case. Any suggetions would be welcome.

Also if anyone has any good leads on a VC. The one I found at a junk yard near me has 100k miles on it and thats making me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
523 Posts
[quote="liquidmpls"
Also if anyone has any good leads on a VC. The one I found at a junk yard near me has 100k miles on it and thats making me a bit nervous.[/quote]

I'd go with a new one, unless the junk yard one is really, really cheap and you don't mind doing the job again in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts